Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Revit Model to Google Earth - Model follows terrain

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
BradleyOlsen4775
4726 Views, 6 Replies

Export Revit Model to Google Earth - Model follows terrain

The add on works great, except for one problem.  As you can see on the photo, the model drapes onto the terrain.  How do I rectify this problem so that the model is level?

1722i663C207195C80B80

The model should be level.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

There is no real control in regards to the model placement exactly on the Google Earth topography.  To match a site in Google Earth, Globe Link is somewhat limited.  The best way for the model to be at the correct elevation when exporting is to physically move the model up in Revit [temporarily, to compensate for the difference in where you would like it placed], and then export.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 7
ccollins
in reply to: ryan.duell

Ryan,

I think the question is:

Why does the Revit model "tilt" with the slope from terrain inside GE?

Sketchup models do NOT do this. We have to convert our Revit models to SU and then bring into GE

because of this problem.

I think there is something wrong with the Revit plug-in which causes this. Please pass on to the Factory.

This needs fixing and has been neglected for a long time. It causes us to NOT USE Revit's Google Eath Connector

feature.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 7
wbd
Observer
in reply to: ccollins

"Sketchup models do NOT do this. We have to convert our Revit models to SU and then bring into GE"

Correct. There is a rather major bug in google export from revit. You can fix it, but you need to hand-edit the xml files to fix things. it's a while since I have done it, but the error is that the Z values in Revit are exported with the 'relative' flag (ie, it will work for a perfectly flat site), whereas the Z values really should be Absolute (ABS)

It takes quite some time to hand-edit 100,000 or so points, as a find-replace search or some PERL scripting can help you.

Alternatively, make sure you only build on flat sites. This may be easier 😛

Message 5 of 7
BradleyOlsen4775
in reply to: wbd

Thanks for the response. I live in Colorado we invented contours. I did find that Autocad Architecture dos not have this problem...so I could export the Revitalize model to AA.
Message 6 of 7
nrasikco
in reply to: BradleyOlsen4775

Have you found a direct fix for this (other than editing the xml file or exporting to another program before Google Earth)?  I am experiencing the same thing – publishing the model in Google Earth is somehow causing the geometry to warp/drape over the topography.  Also, any chance you understand why this happens or at what point during the import/export process?  Thanks!

Message 7 of 7

The only options I know are to export the model to Google Sketchup Pro or to Autocad Architecture, and then export to Google Earth.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report