Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Revit file to gbXML file

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
nyu
Participant
6496 Views, 32 Replies

Export Revit file to gbXML file

Dear Officer,

I am having some issues in exporting a Revit 2013 file to gbXML file.  I have already followed the instruction steps about how to do the gbXML export in Revit 2013 given by the Offical Revit website. But it still has problems like the following screen shot.

Attached is the Revit model file. I am really in an urgent need to use this gbXML model. COULD you help me export this Revit file to gbXML file and send it back to me at my emal address: nyu@nd.edu

Sorry that the file is too big, and I can not attach it here. I have already send it to the email address at mailer@lithium.com

I do appreciate it ! 

Best,

Na 

Issue

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: nyu

Hi Na,

Can you please upload the file to Autodesk 360 and share it with me (with download permission)? I will take a look at it as soon as I get access to the file.

Thanks,

Anna

anna.oscarson@autodesk.com

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 33
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: AnnaOscarson

When using the command Export > gbXML, there must be rooms or spaces placed in the project. In the Export gbXML dialog you can also choose which project phase to export (the selected phase needs to have rooms/spaces otherwise an error message displays). The problem with the project files from the above case was that there were no rooms/spaces created in the project. After rooms were placed, the export was successful.

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 33
nyu
Participant

Dear Anna,

I am sorry to interrupt you again. I am a quite new learner in using Revit. 
I try to follow the things that you suggested to me and do the gbXML export, but it always does not work well. My present issue is that in the gbXML export window, it shows there is an additional cutting part (the small rectangular shape on the top) on the top of the model, which makes it appear like shading in Google Sketch Up. There should be a way to deal with the bounding virtual box to make the whole model is within the box. Could you help me adjust the attached two Revit models (Have just sent them to your email) to gbXML files? And could you also specify how you make it?  The following screenshot shows how it looks like: 
Inline image 1
I do really appreciate your help!!
Wish you have a nice day! 
Na 
Message 5 of 33
AnnaOscarson

Hi Na,

I think the error is related to the Upper Limit set on the Rooms. The Upper Limit for your Rooms plays a large role in the accuracy of the analytical model. If the Upper Limit is set too low then there will be a void between the Rooms and/or the bounding elements. As a general rule, it is a good practice to set the Upper Limit for your Rooms to the next level, and set your Limit Offset to zero. In the case of Rooms below Roofs, you should ensure that the Upper Limit of the Room is set higher than the top surface of the Roof. In your model(s), please set the Upper Limit for the Rooms below the Roof to 16', that should remove the "shading". Please let me know how it goes.

Anna

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 33
nyu
Participant

Dear Anna,

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

I am so sorry that I am quite a new learner in Revit. Could you tell me where I can correct the " Upper Limit set for the rooms"  in Revit 2013? 

Thanks!

Na 

Message 7 of 33
AnnaOscarson

Pick the room, in Properties palette there is a parameter named "Limit Offset", change this to 16'. Please see attached image.

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 33
bajoyce

I have a question regarding exporting the Revit model into the gbXML format. When I export the file out for use in COMcheck, it groups (combined surfaces) all of the exterior walls, even though the walls are a mix of masonry walls and storefront walls at different elevations. How can I export the model out so that my CONcheck report recognizes the different wall types on each elevation?

Thank you.

Message 9 of 33
bajoyce

I have a question regarding exporting the Revit model into the gbXML format. When I export the file out for use in COMcheck, it groups (combined surfaces) all of the exterior walls, even though the walls are a mix of masonry walls and storefront walls at different elevations. How can I export the model out so that my COMcheck report recognizes the different wall types on each elevation?

Thank you.
Message 10 of 33
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: bajoyce

In Revit we export the Revit model according to the gbXML schema. I am not sure how COMcheck interprets the gbXML file during import; you may want to check this with the COMcheck development team. 

The only thing I can think of that may influence this, is if you export with the actual thermal properties specified in the model or not. To export the thermal properties specified in the model please do this: In the Export gbXML – Settings UI if you have “Rooms” as the Export category, check the checkbox "Include Thermal Properties" and export to gbXML. If you have "Spaces" as the Export category, click "Building Constructions" and remove any override that may be set on on the building constructions, then export to gbXML.

Hope this helps!

Anna 

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 33
haj_mj

hi every one,

i have a problem by using gbxml

after exporting the gbxml to ecotect or designbuilder to start my analyses i couldnt find the same materials pre identified in revet. can some one told me what i missed or what i have to do to get the same material (pre defined in revit) in the simulation program.

i wouldnt re defined my material in ecotect or designbuilder!!!!!

Message 12 of 33
gbs_revit2011
in reply to: haj_mj

In order to include Thermal Properties in the gbXML file you need to make sure the option “Include Thermal Properties” is checked. This option displays when “Rooms” is set as the Export Category. If you export “Spaces” you need to review the settings for Building Construction and make sure that these are set to export the information from the model.

For additional information in how to add Thermal Properties on building elements please see:

http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Revit/files/GUID-3C378374-D360-4207-A558-3500922A452E.ht...

Hope this helps!

Message 13 of 33
haj_mj
in reply to: gbs_revit2011

thanks alot for your response,but i had done all what you mentioned in the website,

i still dont see my material properties in ecotect nor designbuilder

did i miss something eles??

waiting for your help

Message 14 of 33
gbs_revit2011
in reply to: haj_mj

Is it possible to send me a copy of the RVT model so that I can take a closer look at it? If yes, please send me an email anna.oscarson@autodesk.com

Message 15 of 33
sabatierae
in reply to: gbs_revit2011

hi everyone

I have some troubles too..

In this tutorial http://www.designbuilder.co.uk/files/db_revit_tutorial_v1_185.pdf it's said that we have to eliminate all the gaps (including between floors) before exporting the file to gbXML.

But I can't manage to eliminate those gaps. Does someone has an idea?

I join a screenshot of my model just before exporting.

Thank for your help

Message 16 of 33
neko.enko

Hey Anna,

I am testing various export settings in Revit 2015, and one of the software chains is Revit>gbxml>Open studio> Energly plus.

Are there any special settings connected to the lower limit of the rooms? For some reason Revit creates me 2 surfaces at the same place for the floor. Afterwards they are not imported to the Open studio because it eliminated two surfaces related to the similar space.

I triend to extend the lower boundary of the room, but it does not help to solve the problem. Attached are the gbxml and the revit files

Thanks in advance!

Message 17 of 33
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: neko.enko

I suspect that this is related to the floor element which has the Function parameter set to "Interior". Please try to either change the gbXML export setting for "Building Envelope" to "Identify Exterior Elements", or change the "Function" parameter on the floor element to "Exterior" and then export.

Please let me know if this solves the issue.

Anna

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 33
neko.enko

Hey Anna,

thanks a lot for your quick reply! The floor function was indeed set to "interior", so now that I set it to "exterior" the export to the gbxml works perfectly.

It also solved my other problem with the Green building studio. I tried to run the energy analysis, but it was giving me the error that the floor element is "too thick or too dense".

Could you possibly recommend some sort of guidance or a step-by-step workflow for exporting the Revit 2015 models to the external analysis tools?

I am wrting my master thesis on interoperability between the BIM platforms (Revit, ArchiCAD and Allplan) and the simulation software that we use for a Project course at our university (Energy plus, Archiphysic, Dialux and Odeon). In this topic I am focusing particularly on the materials export and their attachment to the surfaces. I am basically trying to find out what setting should the architect make to export the material data... And so I have a lot of questions 😉

For example, the Green building studio has the option on exporting the data to the Energy plus. But before exporting it creates the populated gbXML file and does not recognize the constructions from the imported gbXML. As a result, the relationship between the constructions and the surfaces is also overwritten. Is there a problem in importing this data from gbxml to DOE-2? Or somewhere else? I can only export the energy plus file after I run the simulation, so I can not avoid the step of "populating" gbxml with the information that I already have...

See also http://autodesk.typepad.com/bpa/2013/03/advanced-energy-analysis-with-green-building-studio-doe2-and...

Cheers!

Message 19 of 33
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: neko.enko

Sorry for the delayed reply. When you export to gbXML from Revit, I recommend you to generate the analytical surfaces in the Export gbXML dialog, and then review the surfaces in the preview window. Review any warnings that may be listed on the spaces/rooms, review the type of surfaces that were created etc. (Additional information how to do that can be found here “Examine analytical surfaces”)

If the imported gbXML file is using valid gbXML elements to define materials then GBS will use it when export the data. If that is not what you are experience, can you please send me a sample file demonstrating the issue?

Thanks,
Anna

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 33
haj_mj

thanks for this valuable information, but i still have the same problem, why i have to redefine my material properties in both ecotect and desigbuilder? what is your suggestions? yours,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report