Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Revit file to gbXML file

32 REPLIES 32
Message 1 of 33
nyu
Participant
6498 Views, 32 Replies

Export Revit file to gbXML file

Dear Officer,

I am having some issues in exporting a Revit 2013 file to gbXML file.  I have already followed the instruction steps about how to do the gbXML export in Revit 2013 given by the Offical Revit website. But it still has problems like the following screen shot.

Attached is the Revit model file. I am really in an urgent need to use this gbXML model. COULD you help me export this Revit file to gbXML file and send it back to me at my emal address: nyu@nd.edu

Sorry that the file is too big, and I can not attach it here. I have already send it to the email address at mailer@lithium.com

I do appreciate it ! 

Best,

Na 

Issue

32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
neko.enko
in reply to: AnnaOscarson

Dear Anna,

I have re-examined my Revit, gbxml and IDF files resulting from the Green building Studio export. Constructions are correctly attached in the gbXML, but it seems that GBS does not recognize them properly and populates the model by its own constructions, which approximate the initial ones.

Please see attached screenshots in ZIP file for reference.

Message 22 of 33
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: haj_mj

Can you please attach a RVT and gbXML file that I can review?

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 23 of 33
neko.enko

sure, see the ZIP archive below.

I have copy-pasted the mateials from the Austrian material catalogue and they have special characters, such as <,> and ä, ü, etc. But it should not have the influence, because in the gbxml they are already coded as aim###...

Message 24 of 33
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: neko.enko

I am very sorry for the delayed response.

For me, the gbXML file (attached to your post) fails to run on GBS. The file fails to run due to the error “Cannot simulate layer is too thick”. 

If you edit the thickness of one of the floor layers, the exported gbXML file can be run successfully. If you export to gbXML in GBS, the exported file contains the correct materials. Can you try to edit the thickness of one of the floor layers and see if that helps? 

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 25 of 33
neko.enko

Hello, Anna!

thank you for your response!

Could you please attach your files? Rvt and gbxml file that you import.

I have tried to change the floor thickness before and yet I have still the same result, GBS approximates the materials instead of using the ones in the model. I am attaching my files for the reference.

Message 26 of 33
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: neko.enko

Please see the zip file.

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 27 of 33
neko.enko

Hey Anna,

thank you for your help!

I finally found the mistake I was making: I kept adding the gbxmls to one of the projects at the GBS instead of creating the new one. Now that I created the new project on GBS, I managed to export the working energy plus file.

Cheers!

Message 28 of 33
nyu
Participant

Dear Anna,

I have some issues in exporting gbML files again...I have been struggling with this issue for a while...

I have a two-storeys residential house Revit model. I have already set the area and volume computation and also including the thermal properties. But when I do the export to gbXML process, the geometry showing in the export window is still not good. Not ready for export. I have attached the Revit file. Could you help me take a look? Also could you specify the steps of how to export correctly? 

Thanks very much!!!

Happy Halloween! 

Best,

Na

Message 29 of 33
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: nyu

Hi Na,

You need to place rooms or spaces in the model, after that you can export your design as a gbXML file.

Please see: http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-586B9574-64DA-47BC-B8EC-DEF2D565928F

Anna

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 30 of 33
oden648

Ms Oscarson,

When I try to export my revit file to gbXML, it seems to work but I don't get the usual dialogue box asking me about approximating volumes.

But then when I try to import into Ecotect, it does not work. The File Format in the Import dialogue box remains set at IFC, even though gbXML is in the drop-down ribbon.

The Revit file has rooms defined both in plan and section.

What can I do?

Thank you I have an urgent project.

Sincerely

Cathy

Message 31 of 33
AnnaOscarson
in reply to: oden648

Please see this post.

Anna
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 32 of 33
JBWhite

Hello Anna, 

I am trying to export a model provided to us by an outside firm to gbXML but am getting the "Cant create any energy analysis surfaces. There are no Space bounding elements defined in the current phase. Please check the Project Information settings." So far this is what I have tried to resolve the issue to no avail:

• In the Energy Settings
  1. switched the "Export Category" to spaces/rooms
  2. switched the "Building Envelope" parameter to "Use Function Parameter" and "Identify Exterior Elements"
  • I have ensured that the Rooms (that were created with the model by the outside company) and the spaces (that I added automatically) are all set to the current phase. 
  • It appears that all the walls/roofs/floors are set to the current phase.
  • I have ensured that the walls/roofs/floors are all room bounding elements.
  • I have changed all the Floors Function Parameters to Exterior
  • I have set the Upper Limit of the spaces & Rooms to the level above, the Limit offset to 0'0", and the Base offset to 0'0"
  • I have set the Upper Limit of the spaces & Rooms to the highest level, the Limit offset to 0'0", and the Base offset to -6'0"

What am I missing or doing incorrectly? This is the first time that I have attempted an gbXML export so I may have missed something obvious.

Unfortunately I cannot upload the file for privacy reasons but if there is anything else that I can do to help you diagnose the issue please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Message 33 of 33
codinhoto

Hi, I am having a similar problem... but I do have rooms and when I try to export as gbxml the only file type appears is xml and when I click save, no file is generated. So, I have not been able to use the energy analysis add in or being able to upload the gbxml file on green building. any thoughts?  I use Revit Educational, I am an educator.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report