Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export layer file from AutoCAD to Revit

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jledgewood409
4056 Views, 7 Replies

export layer file from AutoCAD to Revit

I am looking how I can create an Export Layer File (txt) file of a layer list to use in Revit.

In revit when you want to export to CAD you can choose how the lines want to read based on the layering system in AutoCAD. there is an option in that menu in Revit that lets you choose a different Export Layer File (txt) file than what is offered out of the box e.g. exportlayers-dwg-AIA.txt. I dont know where to get it from or how to create it.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

At one time, you could export your settings to an external text file, since that was the way to share between files.  In recent versions, they enabled the sharing of settings between project files by using Transfer Project Standards, and deleted the ability to export to a text file.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 8
luna.ye
in reply to: jledgewood409

Hi ledge,

Please refer to the following blog to get the explanation:

http://revitoped.blogspot.hk/2011/11/export-dwg-settings.html 

Hope this helps.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 4 of 8
jledgewood409
in reply to: luna.ye

my goal is to be able to create said text file from autocad (our office standard layers) and use that text file in the same matter as the ones provided i.e. exportlayers-dwg-AIA.txt

Message 5 of 8

I guess the best solution is Take a copy of that AIA standard txt and rename and edit it to your companie's standards with a notepad and save it. then you could load it

text standard.png

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 6 of 8

I was thinking the same thing. but I thought about it some more and thought that the AIA version had to be created from an autocad file and to save me time from typing in the info to match the AIA version there has to be a way to generate the text file from autocad or some 3rd party program??

Message 7 of 8

You can't created from Autocad since how you want to do the mapping with Revit family elements

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 8 of 8
loboarch
in reply to: jledgewood409

At one time Revit could be used to create these TXT files. Like mentioned above the method for sharing export setup changed (maybe 2011? I can't recall.) and Revit no longer makes these TXT files. The method to share setups is from project to project with transfer project standards. The pulldown and interface to use TXT files is still there to support legacy TXT files that may have been created prior to the change. This is no longer supported as a method of sharing export setups between files, it is ONLY there to support legacy TXT files that an office might be still using.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report