Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export drawings to model space when exporting to Autocad

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
4218 Views, 4 Replies

Export drawings to model space when exporting to Autocad

Good morning. I'm currently working on a project that requires modelling in revit but exporting the final drawings in Autocad format. As a requirement from my client, I am demanded to export the entire paper space into the model space as Autocad entities.

When I export the drawing, the composition that I model in Revit is shown in the paper space, Is there a way to automatically export this composition into the model space?

Thank you for you assistance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

When you export from a sheet in Revit, to AutoCAD, you obtain a drawing that has the titleblock and the viewports in paper space, and the actual views in model space, as 2d entities. If you export from a view in Revit, you obtain a drawing with those views in 2d, in model space, and nothing on paper space. What do you really mean by "exporting the composition in model space"?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 5
CoreyDaun

Really? They want everything in Model Space? Does your client not actually use AutoCAD, or do they just not use features such as Viewports? Or perhaps this is a requirement for submission for local records?

Anyway, there is no way to automate this from the Revit side; everything from the Sheet View in exported to Paper Space while the nested Views are exported to Model Space. All of the relocation of the Paper Space objects will have to be done in AutoCAD, which will basically constitute Copy/Pasting with a basepoint and manually correcting the scale discrepancy of the pasted objects, since Paper Space is a 1:1 scale. I hope you don't have a lot of sheets!

EDIT: The only way I can see to get this process to work is to create a Generic Annotation Family that mimics the Title Block and one that mimics the View Tag. Create dedicated Views for the purposes of exporting to AutoCAD and place this Generic Annotation family directly into the View. This might be less of a pain then manually making the modifications in AutoCAD.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 5
David_W_Koch

This would not automate the export directly to Model Space, but you could use the CHSPACE command to move the contents of Paper Space to Model Space, and have them scaled by the scale of a selected viewport and located in the same relative location in Model Space.

That works fine for sheets with a single View in Revit (and, therefore, a single Viewport in AutoCAD, but if you have multiple Views, possibly at multiple scales, then you will have a lot more post-processing to do in AutoCAD.  I suppose you could try to use CHSPACE to move the contents of multiple Viewports from Model Space to Paper Space, and then move everything to Model Space.  That would not provide a terribly useful drawing file, but if that is what the client wants....

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I know that this format is extremely arcaic, and pretty much steps over the idea of using the BIM workflow, but those are the demands from my client...

Thank you for your assistance guys.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report