Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exploded leaders when exported to AutoCAD

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
terry_kesteloot
4255 Views, 27 Replies

Exploded leaders when exported to AutoCAD

Does anyone know about a export issue with Revit, where the leaders in the Revit model are exploded when the model is exported to AutoCAD.  If so is there a setting or a procedure in Revit that fixes this other then redrawing the leaders in AutoCAD?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Terry

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

This is a current limitation in the Revit to AutoCAD export process; Revit 2011 leaders will be exported as lines in the resulting CAD file.  The development team is aware of this scenario.  Unfortunately there is no approach around the default behavior at this time.

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 28
BIMAbhi
in reply to: terry_kesteloot

Is it possible in Revit 2012 or 2013? Is there any add-ins to resolvel this issue ? Please help !

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 4 of 28
KIMRAMFI

Still in Revit version 2015 Autodesk has not made any progress with this problem! What Autodesk programmers are paid for?!?

Message 5 of 28
erik
in reply to: KIMRAMFI

Yes please fix this so that Revit leaders get exported as leaders.  I'm pretty sure it will only take a progammer about 4 hours to sort out.  I know some good ones that can do it for you too if you can't find someone to do it.

Message 6 of 28
ennujozlagam
in reply to: ryan.duell

@ryan.duell 

08-23-2010 05:36 AM in reply to: terry.kesteloot

"This is a current limitation in the Revit to AutoCAD export process; Revit 2011 leaders will be exported as lines in the resulting CAD file.  The development team is aware of this scenario.  Unfortunately there is no approach around the default behavior at this time."

Hello, is there any progress on this issue? From older version of Revit and now Revit 2017 still same issue, export from Revit to AutoCAD still annotations leader is exploded. any thoughts. Thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 7 of 28
erik

It looks like we must be the only people in the world who have any interest in this. Seems like other companies out there who need to create content in multiple formats like myself might want the revit exporter to work properly. In my opinion it's a significant handicap and just sad that Autodesk has no interest in fixing it...
Message 8 of 28

Addressed by an Autodesk agent as a "limitation" almost a decade ago and still no fix for this very simple problem. I don't mean to be negative but that is pretty weak customer support. If you type this issue into google, there are literally pages upon pages of people looking for a fix spanning from 2005 to the current year. I would understand if custom annotation symbols had issues during export. Dimensions, text & leaders are another matter and probably the most universally key components to a design drawing. All three notes export horribly (arrow issues with close dims, text converting to single line text instead of MTEXT and leaders exploding and not having a dedicated linetype that we can use to set proper layers.

Like I said I don't mean to be negative and am not one to typically represent the community in a negative fashion but I suppose patience has its limitations.

Message 9 of 28
anthony.picton
in reply to: ryan.duell

Bump. See newest post.

Message 10 of 28
RobDraw

Leaders don't export well from any program.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 28
sstulpin
in reply to: RobDraw

Has there been a solution to the exploded leader issue? I am having the same problem and desperately trying to find a solution! Please let me know!

Message 12 of 28
erik
in reply to: sstulpin

Nope, no solution will come from Autodesk as far as I can tell.  Theoretically one could write a script to search the drawing entities for geometry that constituted an exploded leader, delete that and recreate an appropriate replacement, but seriously, this would be much easier, as in a few lines of code for someone at Autodesk to fix.   Alas they have more important things to do like figure out which products to retire next year (goodbye showcase).  Um sorry, I am also not really usually negative towards Autodesk.  I grew up with it since AutoCAD 9.  It’s been my livelihood for decades, but it feels like good things have stopped happening.  Still what can we do? Switch to sketchup?  LOL,  that’s why they don’t care, because there is nothing close enough to the Autodesk products to cause them to worry about losing customers.  The industry belongs to them for the foreseeable future. My advice:  keep your head down and pay your subscription fees like me,  and hope that they don’t kill some product that you like.Man LOL

Message 13 of 28
terry_kesteloot
in reply to: erik

Hi Folks,

Wow I posted this over 8 years ago!  For us this is still a problem as it effects our clients CAD Compliance Standards.  I'm Afraid the only real way to solve it is to redraw all of the leaders in AutoCAD.

Thanks 

Message 14 of 28
ToanDN

I am wondering if folks using Adobe Illustrator complaining when AutoCAD leaders are not becoming Illustrator leader when they import DWGs.  

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous

2020....still the same

Message 16 of 28
RobDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

Correct.

Revit leaders are a different animal than AutoCAD ones. They won't convert when exporting or importing.

Rob

Message 17 of 28
IMSckeel

The only solution I've found is to copy and paste the Revit text into a Autocad multileader.

Message 18 of 28
erik
in reply to: IMSckeel

My company used to create web assets for construction industry product manufacturers.  So we were dealing with hundreds of details each with lots of leaders and lots of text.  Thankfully I gave this up years ago.  It’s not acceptable to ship out dwgs with broken leaders.  Hence a degree of frustration arises. The argument about Adobe illustrator doesn’t fly since AutoCAD AND Revit are both Autodesk products aimed at the same market that many many companies use together.  There are features like linking and yes of course import and export.  They clearly interact all the time in practices all over the world, and in fact have been designed to do so.  There is just this one quite annoying flaw.  Nobody with any power reads these posts though so all it does is give us a place to vent frustrations.  Yep I feel a bit better now. All hail Autodesk!

Message 19 of 28
RobDraw
in reply to: erik

@erik wrote:

There is just this one quite annoying flaw.  Nobody with any power reads these posts though so all it does is give us a place to vent frustrations.

They are completely different platforms. A leader in Revit is not the same as a leader in AutoCAD. Hardly a flaw that an export does not convert it.

This forum is for users to help users. Your frustrations belong in the complaint department, down the hall and to the left.

Rob

Message 20 of 28
erik

Don’t get me wrong it’s a good business model.  Spend hours replicating content in the two “completely different platforms” and hence charge the client more.  Works great.  I guess what you are saying is that Revit is programmed in such an awkward way it has no way of knowing things like the  full geometry of the leader to yield a transform solution.   Kind of like the way it considers arcs.   How many arcs have been deleted and redrawn in Revit? 😂. Look I don’t mind anymore.  I just find it hilarious.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report