Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exit Access Travel Distance and Exit Doors

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
4646 Views, 22 Replies

Exit Access Travel Distance and Exit Doors

I want to calculate number of exit a floor can have.
Also to access travel distance from farthest point to exit door without any obstruction. Like if I have a office then the travel distance from longest point in office to exit door.
I Would like to explore all possibilities from Revit experts here as there is less discussion or material regarding exit access, means of egress, access distance.

Thanks in advance.
Arjun
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Arjun,

There has been numerous threads on this over at AUGI.com. Too many to repeat here, however there are a couple of threads on calculating the egress capacity of a building for egress purposes.

Back to door egress width: Creating a parameter (possibly a Yes/no) check box parameter "Is this an Exit Door" would allow you to schedule the door in a special door schedule, and use the door with in a calculated schedule parameter to calculate egress with. You could also do this within the family, and you could then create a special door tag to show this width on the code plans.

Travel distance is still a manual thing. Revit is not intelligent enough to work out the distances between doors, following the non-direct path needed.
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous

There is an example of how travel distance could be
calculated in the tutorials.  You can check the specific
tutorial:

Documenting Your Projects>Tagging and
Scheduling>Scheduling Shared Parameters

--
Jeff Hanson
Autodesk - AEC User Experience
Team
Manchester, NH

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Arjun,
There has been numerous threads on this over at AUGI.com. Too many to repeat
here, however there are a couple of threads on calculating the egress capacity
of a building for egress purposes. Back to door egress width: Creating a
parameter (possibly a Yes/no) check box parameter "Is this an Exit Door" would
allow you to schedule the door in a special door schedule, and use the door
with in a calculated schedule parameter to calculate egress with. You could
also do this within the family, and you could then create a special door tag
to show this width on the code plans. Travel distance is still a manual thing.
Revit is not intelligent enough to work out the distances between doors,
following the non-direct path needed.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

thnxs guys.
Documenting Your Projects>Tagging and
Scheduling>Scheduling Shared Parameters help file really helped me to understand the Travel distance.

I searched on this forum earlier rather on audi.com

I am exploring this concept in my project file and then through progrmatically using RevitAPI. I guess I can get that from scheduling in RevitAPI. If any one can help me in this I will glad to hear.

Thanks again!
Arjun
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous

Hi guys!

My project requirement changed a bit. I want to draw all travel distance at back end using RevitAPI without any obstraction irrespective of any travel path I draw at design.

I am in delima how to draw exit path in programe without obstraction ?

Thanks,
Arjun
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous

OptaSoft provides a software solution that allows users to determine the maximum length of exit access travel, measured from the most remote point within a story to the entrance to an exit along the natural and unobstructed path of egress travel.
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

Jeff,

Thanks for mentioning the tutorial. I couldn't find it in the 2010 tutorials, but I found it immediately under 2009 (I probably wasn't patient enough to find it under 2010.)

Is there a way to have the calculated total travel distance for a given Path ID show up on the tag in the plan? I can't tell if there's a way to set up a shared parameter that will calculate the total lengths and then THAT parameter could be what is tagged and not the individual segment lengths.

Thanks again.

- Alex
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

The same tutorial shows how to create a schedule that automatically totals
up all travel distance lines with the same Path ID.

"Jazzster11" wrote in message news:6389871@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Jeff,
>
> Thanks for mentioning the tutorial. I couldn't find it in the 2010
> tutorials, but I found it immediately under 2009 (I probably wasn't
> patient enough to find it under 2010.)
>
> Is there a way to have the calculated total travel distance for a given
> Path ID show up on the tag in the plan? I can't tell if there's a way to
> set up a shared parameter that will calculate the total lengths and then
> THAT parameter could be what is tagged and not the individual segment
> lengths.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> - Alex
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

Yeah, and the schedule worked out as described, but it would be great if you didn't have to have a schedule AND a tag.

Is there anyway to have the travel path's tag indicate the sum of the lengths for a given Path ID parameter? I don't know much about using formulas with parameters, but can the tag itself determine and display the total travel distance so one doesn't need to keep jumping from the plan to a schedule?

Thanks.

- Alex
Message 10 of 23
ToanDN

You could format your schedule to look like a tag, showing the accumulated distance of travel.
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

Thanks.

Would you I then place the schedule over top of my plan view on the sheet? And create a separate schedule for each travel path?

Is there no way to calculate the sum and then have a parameter read that information so that I can display that parameter's value in a tag?

I realize that I don't understand how all of these components work together yet, but it's sounding like I may just need to create an instance parameter and manually enter the calculated total travel length on my own.

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Alex
Message 12 of 23
ToanDN

> {quote:title=Jazzster11 wrote:}{quote}
> Thanks.
>
> Would you I then place the schedule over top of my plan view on the sheet? And create a separate schedule for each travel path?

That's what I would do. I understand you would have to coordinate the location on Sheet when your plan changed. But I rather do that then re-enter the value manually.
Message 13 of 23
jbc
Enthusiast

You may be able to expand on this family to indicate egress distance.

Gregg
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

Very nice.

Thanks for posting this.

- Alex
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

ToanDN, I know this is a really old thread but can you explain how to "format your schedule to look like a tag, showing the accumulated distance of travel"? Thanks, Levi
Message 16 of 23
ToanDN

A schedule without title, heading, border, heading, etc. would look like a tag.  But this is a very old thread, so there maybe better solutions now.  What exactly are you looking for?

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous

I'm looking to be able to tag the total combined length of multiple egress line segments. See image.
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous

I'm looking to be able to tag the total combined length of multiple egress line segments. See image.
Message 19 of 23
ToanDN

Don't see any image attached.

You can format the schedule to group segments of the same path to a single line, format it to show only what you want (mine only shows the sum distance).

Again, someone else may be able to use Dynamo for this. But I am not very familiar with it.

As a matter of fact, I don't tag the distances anymore, only the path IDs, and have an actual schedule table to summarize the paths.
Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

Here's the image. I would also like the bottom to be a user defined "Max. allowable" instance parameter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report