Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing walls clean up with new walls in an "Existing Only" view!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
810 Views, 8 Replies

Existing walls clean up with new walls in an "Existing Only" view!

How do I keep my existing walls from cleaning up with the new walls in an existing view? This is in a view showing the existing floor plan ONLY:

Phase: Existing.
Phase Filter: Show New*.

So as far as phasing is concerned, the walls in the New Construction phase shouldn't appear one single bit in this view. Well, they aren't appearing, but the Existing walls are still cleaning up with them!

So what can I do? I've already tried the "Edit Wall Joins" command. That doesn't work. I've cycled through all 50+ "variants" (Hah! They are all the same) and none of them work.

* "New" of course in the Existing Phase actually means walls created in the existing phase, which are in fact existing walls.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I might be misunderstanding your question, but would selecting the wall grip at the erroneous join and choosing "disallow join" make them display correctly?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

I didn't think of that. But still, I need the New walls to join in the New Construction phase.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Phase: Existing - Phase Filter: Show New? I set up phased views as you suggest and did not get my new walls showing as connections to the existing wall in the Existing phase view, even with the Show new Phase Filter set in that view.

Have you checked to see if you the Phase Filters for Show New are changed from the Default or the Overrides have been changed? Just a long shot, not likely the culprit.

I tried every combination of view and element properties and could not get the new walls to show connections along the existing walls. You should not see walls in a future phase and they should have no effect in a prior phase.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
MasterGraphics, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

The new walls aren't *showing*. But they are still being cleaned up with the existing walls. They are invisible, like gaps through the end points of the existing wall joins.

See these are at intersections. I have 4 walls meeting, 2 existing and 2 new. In the new phase they are screwed up, but I'm okay with that. I'm not working in the new phase yet. I'll worry about the new walls when I start working on the new phase.

(In case you are wondering, I'm cleaning up a drawing that someone else did. It's really really screwed up. It's not entirely their fault, they traced a HOOOOORRRIBLE AutoCAD drawing and they didn't have a decent original to work from. I do. But they did put everything on the New Construction phase, even the existing walls. So I have decided that it would be easier to just start from scratch, so I'm taking the hand drawn drawing from the 80s that I just got and I'm manually putting in the walls.)

Yes, the Phase Filters are still set to the default out of the box settings.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

The OOTB default template behaves correctly. I drew two walls crossing each
other. changed one to existing. Changed the view to existing. The "new"
wall vanished and it DIDNT interact with the existing wall at all. Your RVt
file might have some setting wrong. Just copy and paste your four walls in
an new file and see show they behave. If they still misbehave, can you
please post that new rvt file?
Thanks
nicholas

wrote in message news:5713690@discussion.autodesk.com...
The new walls aren't *showing*. But they are still being cleaned up with
the existing walls. They are invisible, like gaps through the end points of
the existing wall joins.

See these are at intersections. I have 4 walls meeting, 2 existing and 2
new. In the new phase they are screwed up, but I'm okay with that. I'm not
working in the new phase yet. I'll worry about the new walls when I start
working on the new phase.

(In case you are wondering, I'm cleaning up a drawing that someone else did.
It's really really screwed up. It's not entirely their fault, they traced a
HOOOOORRRIBLE AutoCAD drawing and they didn't have a decent original to work
from. I do. But they did put everything on the New Construction phase,
even the existing walls. So I have decided that it would be easier to just
start from scratch, so I'm taking the hand drawn drawing from the 80s that I
just got and I'm manually putting in the walls.)

Yes, the Phase Filters are still set to the default out of the box settings.
Message 7 of 9
SAMRUE6022

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to give my input incase someone else does a search for this problem. I was having the same issues and not finding much luck on the forums. Through trial and error this is what I found out:

It has to do with the order that you draw your walls and phase them. You have to phase your existing wall as Existing prior to drawing the intersecting New Wall to make the Existing Wall display correctly in an Existing or Previou+ phase. Example: If you draw 2 intersecting walls in a view phased as New Construction and then set one of the walls to Phase Created: Existing, then the New Wall will appear continuous through the existing wall - and a blank gap will display on the Existing and Previous+ phases. BUT if you phase the wall as Phase Created: Existing PRIOR to drawing the new intersecting wall, then the existing wall will display as continuous - and the mysterious blank gap will NOT appear on your Existing and Previous+ pahses

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: SAMRUE6022

+1 on this.  I know this is an old thread, but after spending far too much time trying to make my things display correctly, this was exactly the issue.  All existing walls must be drawn prior to any new walls, otherwise the new walls will interact with the existing walls in the existing only view.   A large historic warehouse project I was working on where we knew the entire interior would be demoed- so didn't bother to model it at the beginning- about drove me batty trying to figure out why this was happening.  Ended up drafting the existing walls that needed to show up as demo in the cd set since all the new construction was already modeled. 

Message 9 of 9
honewell

Thank you for the input. i'm wrestling with this same issue now. Isn't it a little stupid that Revit doesn't acknowledge the phase category that's built into the software, but rather acknowledges when the walls are drawn! is this meant to be fixed at some point?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report