Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when clicking the File Drop down??

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
VIZ Wizard
385 Views, 8 Replies

Error when clicking the File Drop down??

Sometimes when I try and click the File drop down at the top of the page to do a save as or something I get a message saying:

An Invalid argument was encountered??

When i press ok nothing in Revit responds until i go into another program and then back into Revit. What is causing this as its a real pain!!
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Park City
in reply to: VIZ Wizard

Any word on this? Have the EXACT same issue with a client's machine (see "File->Export->CAD format (dwg) crashes Revit 2008" thread)

Thanks

Brad
Message 3 of 9
Park City

Just keeping the thread alive. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
Message 4 of 9
Park City

Did you find a solution for this?

Thanks!

Brad in Park City
Message 5 of 9
ijnicholas

did you report this to autodesk?
nicholas iyadurai
www.nichitecture.com
Message 6 of 9
Park City

I did not personally but my client claims he did several weeks ago. I have not specifically asked him if he has hear back on it but I assume he has not since he asked me about it yesterday.

Brad
Message 7 of 9
RKHanson

I am having the same problem w/ revit structure 2008. I have reported it to Autodesk, but haven't heard back. It is very annoying at times it goes on for a hour before I can start working.

Keith
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I had this infuriating problem and after devoting a lot of time I think I've managed to resolve it.

It seems to be a problem that is not just unique to Revit. Everything seemed to be pointing in the same direction, a registry problem associated with the MRU files.

I've just recently completely blitzed my registry with a couple of registry fixers/cleaner applications. I don't like using them too much but desperate situations call for desperate measures. Specifically I ran Systweak Advanced System Optimizer v2 and VCOM Fix-It Utilities 7 Professional. First a restore point was created and then I ran ASO which picked up about 300 issues. Then I ran Fix-It and it listed over 1300 issues which were cleared. Fix-It recommended running again as the first repair run would reveal more issues. I ran it again and this time there were over 1700 issues which were again cleared. I re-ran it a third time and this time it returned only 5 problems.

With such a drastic change to my registry I was sure I'd run into problems following a restart. But alas, thankfully not. It could be my imagination but things seem to be a bit faster. But the best thing of all was that upon starting Revit and clicking on the File menu, it just dropped down with 4 MRUs listed. If you haven't had this problem then you cannot imagine what joy that brings.

This cure is somewhat risky, but for me it was worth the risk and fortunately I came out smiling. I used ASO and Fix-It because they came joint top in a Registry Repair Review. ASO has a 30 day free trial and a colleague has (and swears by) Fix-It. I'm not sure which one actually did the deed but if I had to guess I would opt for Fix-It.

Hope this helps even one of you guys, it's a truly frustrating problem, and if it misbehaves again I'll let you know.

Tripe
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

This Works:

Update your microsoft visual c++ runtime libraries from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en

This problem has been plaguing me for some time until I found a similar post from a user using a totally different application. After applying the update, I was able to work as usual.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report