Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: "Revit could not start the print job because it was unable to connect to

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
cfowden
7037 Views, 20 Replies

Error: "Revit could not start the print job because it was unable to connect to

Howdy.  Yesterday I started getting this error when I try to print.  At first I thought it was related to our HP printer so I uninstalled and reinstalled it with no luck.  I tried printing to our Canon copier and get the same error.  I can print just fine from other programs.  I haven't changed anything with Revit but yesterday my computer did some Windows updates.  Any help would be appreciated! Oh, I'm running 2016 at the moment.

Cole

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
alfred_sfmi
in reply to: cfowden

I have the same problem.  Seems to have been cause by the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.  I hope someone has fix.

Message 3 of 21
alfred_sfmi
in reply to: alfred_sfmi

BTW, it affects 2013 - 2017 Revit.
Message 4 of 21
cfowden

Wonderful.  I'm still rocking Windows 7.  I hope this gets figured out muey-pronto and doesn't start on the other machines here.  I can't keep asking the other guys to print out my stuff.  Thanks for the info

Message 5 of 21
alfred_sfmi

Just don't install Windows Updates for now.

One of our workstations here installed updates overnight, now it has the same problem.

So it's not really the Windows 10 Anniversary Update but something else.

These were the updates installed last night:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3176493)
Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172729)

Message 6 of 21
cfowden

I had the other guys turn off automatic updates so hopefully they won't get hosed.  

Message 7 of 21
alfred_sfmi

I just uninstalled this update and now I can print again.

Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172729)

If you can find the equivalent Windows 7 update and uninstall it, that might fix your problem.

Message 8 of 21
cfowden

Sweet! I uninstalled three different updates and finally on the third one I was able to print.  Thanks for the help!

Message 9 of 21
cfowden

Worked for a day then got the error again.  Uninstalled a few more updates and it's working for now. This is annoying.

Message 10 of 21
hscfran

Hi guys, thanks for the options I have uninstalled windows update KB3172729 but it did not have any affect on the printing error, is there any other solution that anyone can think off or should I just keep uninstalling windows update it works.

Cheers

Message 11 of 21
cfowden
in reply to: hscfran

I ended up uninstalling about 5 different security updates in all.  So far so good.  It sucks hitting print and cringing for a few seconds waiting for that stupid error to pop up. Good luck!

Message 12 of 21
hscfran

Sweet thanks, I have managed to find the update that was causing it and now I have no issues printing thanks guys.

The windows security updates that were causing the issues were KB 3176493 for Windows 10 and KB3177725 Windows 7, info for everyone else.

Message 13 of 21
jes
Participant

I really hope Microsoft resolves this because it appears the update provides some great performance and security advantages.  This bug doesn't prevent us from batch printing to PDF, which is a quick workaround until the update is removed.

As mentioned above, for Windows 7 and 8, uninstall KB3177725.  For Windows 10, uninstall KB3176493.  Everything will print correctly until Windows installs it again at your next automatic update check.  To prevent this from re-installing, you must HIDE the update.  This is native feature to Windows 7 and 8, but was removed in Windows 10.  You need to download and run the "Windows 10 Hide Update" tool which can be found searching for KB3073930. 

Message 14 of 21
rmoore2
in reply to: jes

If you have Win 10 Anniversary Update you don't have KB3176493 installed, you have KB3176495 installed. Uninstalling KB3176495 does not fix the batch print option. After ten days you cannot roll back the anniversary update. Thank you Microsoft

Message 15 of 21
jpemm

Hi there,
I'm having the same problem running Windows 10 & Revit 2016 in conjunction.

I have followed the above steps of removing the Security update for windows 10 (as stated) however am still having the same Revit error appear when trying to print multiple pages.

Is there anything else I can try to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance
Message 16 of 21
brianc
in reply to: jpemm

My company is also having this problem. We've noticed some of our older computers, that were upgraded to Windows 10 in May, have the ability to remove the updates, while our newer computers that came with Windows 10 don't even show the updates.

Does anyone know what these updates do? Like technically? Obviously the general description is they're "security patches". Maybe if we can understand what they actually do we can alter/remove files and/or change the registry on a test machine. I do have one that I could use if a conclusion was made.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Message 17 of 21
dhivakvsde92

how can i permanently uninstall that program

Message 18 of 21
alfred_sfmi
in reply to: dhivakvsde92
Message 19 of 21
brianc

Uninstalling the updates seems to work on the machines in my office that upgraded from Win7 to Win10, but not on machines that came with Win10 installed, or on those machines that had a fresh install done of Win10. In that, on those machines, I can't even find the updates.

Message 20 of 21
alfred_sfmi
in reply to: brianc

It seems like Microsoft has fixed this by issuing a new update.  I can batch print drawings now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report