Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error - 'Could not parse column header: Side Light Left.'

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
craighowie
1843 Views, 14 Replies

Error - 'Could not parse column header: Side Light Left.'

Hi there.

I am having a problem with a Type Catalog of a door family. I keep on
getting the error 'Could not parse column header: Side Light Left.'

I export the Family Type from the family to a .txt file and then try
Import that exact same .txt file back into the same Revit file... this
is when it gives me the error. Any idea what would be causing this
problem? I have emailed the people who created the family who I bought
the family from at length and they say that it is an autodesk
problem... They say that it is definitively Revit creating a type catalog file with invalid formatting!

Could you please advise on how to resolve this problem! Or alternativly who I need to contact directly at autodesk to report the problem!

(I have tried to attach the family file, however it is bigger than the alowed limit so wont let me attach! I can email it to anyone who wants to have a look!)

Thanks,
Craig

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

I too have seen that error message.  It has been a while but, if I remember correctly it was due to a possible typo either in the type catalog column in question or in the matching parameter in the model.  I was the creator of the type catalog and model, so it was probably due to me having 10 thumbs again while typing.  If the type catalog headers and the Revit model are not exact, there are problems.  I'd check to be sure one doesn't have an extra space or something like that.  Best of luck finding the problem.

Message 3 of 15

Hi, thank you for your response

So are you suggesting that the problem lies in the family? (Frankly
that is my opinion, but people who sold me the family claim it is an
autodesk issue!)

So you are the developer! Interesting, could you explain why the Type
catalog that ships with the family is not a complete Type catalog? Bit
suspect to me...

I am not doing any editing of the Type Catalog outside of Revit. Just
a simple Family Type export, and then a Family Type Import. No editing
what so ever! So the corruption is occurring on the export and import,
and has nothing to do with my process.

Who would be responsible for such an issue Autodesk or the families
resellers / developer?

Message 4 of 15
craighowie
in reply to: craighowie

How does one go about reporting an error, such as this one directly to Autodesk? Or is this the forum to do so? Needing to get an answer as this issue is holding up some work in the office!

Message 5 of 15

Another guy and I developed the families for my previous employer, who was also the manufacturer of the product line we were modeling, not the families you are using.  The families I saw the error on were those families for that manufacturer.

If I remember correctly, when I saw the error you mention, it was an error due to the type catalog headers not matching the parameters in the family.  If that is correct, there was, as I remember, a typo that caused the problem.

If that is the case, it would be the family developer and not Autodesk where the problem is.  I would not edit either but I would look at the type catalog to see if I could find the problem and let the “families’ resellers / developer” know about it when found.

If there is a column header 'Side Light Left' I would look at it and compare it to the same parameter in the family.  An extra space is all hat's needed to goof up the works.  Then; does that header have all the right other stuff it needs?  Are there other similar parameters in the type catalog that have the ##_ _ _ _ ## _ _ _ _  stuff that you can use as a comparison?  How is that comparison?

At my previous employer, we had procedures and standards we had to follow to make sure we had the best possible families.  We had a quality check sheet that we went through with each family created so we didn’t let out stuff that would come back and bite us latter.  As a very wise man once said, "If people can’t rely on the quality of the model / family, how can they rely on the quality of the product it represents?"

Best of luck finding the problem.

Message 6 of 15
craighowie

Oh sorry I miss understood, thought you were saying that you designed the door family.

Yes, the problem is that the Type Catalog headers are not matching the parameters in the family. This issue is occurring when exporting the Family Types.

I have let the ‘families’ reseller / developer know about it. They claim it is an Autodesk issue!

The problem is that when exported the ‘Side Light Left’ for some reason has no ##_ _ _ _ ## _ _ _ _  stuff! Which is causing the problem. Any idea why a Type Family would export without the correct format?

Does anyone have any idea how I can report this issue to Autodesk directly?

Message 7 of 15

Hi, thank you for your response So are you suggesting that the problem lies in the family? (Frankly that is my opinion, but people who sold me the family claim it is an autodesk issue!) So you are the developer! Interesting, could you explain why the Type catalog that ships with the family is not a complete Type catalog? Bit suspect to me... I am not doing any editing of the Type Catalog outside of Revit. Just a simple Family Type export, and then a Family Type Import. No editing what so ever! So the corruption is occurring on the export and import, and has nothing to do with my process. Who would be responsible for such an issue Autodesk or the families resellers / developer! -- Email: craigjohnhowie@gmail.com Cell no: 0724356970
Message 8 of 15

Another guy and I developed the families for my previous employer, who was also the manufacturer of the product line we were modeling, not the families you are using. If I remember correctly, when I saw the error you mention, it was an error due to the type catalog headers not matching the parameters in the family. If that is correct, there was, as I remember, a typo that caused the problem. If that is the case, it would be the family developer and not Autodesk where the problem is. I would not edit either but I would look at the type catalog to see if I could find the problem and let the "families' resellers / developer" know about it when found. At my previous employer, we had procedures and standards we had to follow to make sure we had the best possible families. We had a quality check sheet that we went through with each family created so we didn't let out stuff that would come back and bite us latter. If people can't rely on the quality of the model / family, how can they rely on the quality of the product? Best of luck finding the problem.
Message 9 of 15

Craig,

By what you have written and by what I remember the problem is in the type catalog, not from an Autodesk issue.

All type catalog column headers need the "## _ _ _ _ _ ## _ _ _ _ _ " stuff to work correctly.  If it is not there, there will be problems.  If the 'Side Light Left' parameter is the only one having that problem (giving you that error message) and it is also the only one where the "## _ _ _ _ _ ## _ _ _ _ _ " stuff is not present, I would say the problem lies within the purchased file, not with an Autodesk issue.

Just for grins; what would happen if say you deleted the "## _ _ _ _ _ ## _ _ _ _ _ " from another column header, one that works correctly.  If you get the '.... parse ....' error from it, there you go.

You will need "Revit Family Tools" to change the .txt file, it is a free download from the Autodsk site if you don't already have it.  Use it to "Copy selected CSV Files to TXT Files".  You will use the 'Type Catalog Tools' drop down.  Browse to the folder where your files are stored and click on the "Copy selected CSV Files to TXT Files" then the other bar 'Validate Selected CSV Files'.

Otherwise you could make a copy of the type catalog, the txt file, and the family.  Each of them will need the same name, except for the suffix.  Maybe at the end of the copy's file name and before the '.', put a number.  Then with those new files do the playing. 

That seems like an awful lot of playing around to prove a point but it may just do that.

Maybe you could even ask the seller of the files to do that for you.  Ask them to do the experiment.  If they are confident it is not their error it would seem as they would help you, especially if they want return business and don't want their reputation tarnished if it is their error and still deny it.  I believe it is called the 'Cost of Quality' and it can bite them if not taken care of.

Best wishes in solving this.

*****Has anyone else seen this same error message and what was found to be the problem?*****

Message 10 of 15

I should add; if the type catalog started out correctly, that is with the correct '##_ _ _ _ _ ## _ _ _ _ _ _' stuff, then it could be an Autodesk issue.  It could also be that the supplier of the families did not run the "Revit Family Tools" on the latest revision of their files to update the .txt file before they sent the files to you.  The type catalog may have the correct stuff but the .txt file may not.  Whenever changes are done to the type catalog, the .txt files must be updated with "Revit Family Tools" so the changes are carried forward.

Message 11 of 15
craighowie

Thanks for the suggestion to use "Revit Family Tools" I looked at that addin ages ago and have actually forgotten about it.

The issue is occurring when exporting the Type Catalog from the actual family! So the issue has nothing to do with the previous Type Catalogs. 

The reseller is adamant that the problem lies with Autodesk. How does one contact Autodesk directly with errors? Also I really need to send the full family & Type catalog (Which is to big for this forum) then others will be able to replicate the export and import issue I am having to better understand the problem.

Thanks,

Craig

Message 12 of 15
peterjegan

The problem is that there is a comma in two of the family parameter names.

Side Light Left, Transom Window Height Calc
Side Light Right, Transom Window Height Calc

Because the comma is used as the column delimiter for the type catalog, Revit can't read it, and shows you the last thing it read before it encountered the error. Like "Could not parse column header: Side Light Left"

If you remove the commas from the parameter names and export the type catalog, it will work.

Do this: Open the door family. Find the above parameters. Remove the commas. Save the family. Export a new type catalog. Close the family. Go to a project and load the door family.

It works like it should. (Except if the above parameter are used in a formula, you will have to fix the formula.)

My answer: Never - ever - put a comma in a parameter name. Never. Especially if you sell your families.

Message 13 of 15
donnia
in reply to: peterjegan

This can also happen if you put quote marks in a parameter name such as using it for 4" within the name of the parameter..

Message 14 of 15
RAndroseGlover
in reply to: donnia

Anyone have a list of what NOT to include in parameter names? For example "-" or "_" (which I commonly use) may be causing problems in a family I'm working on. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Robert A. Glover
User: Revit, Navisworks, 3ds Max, AutoCAD Architectecture
Message 15 of 15
L.Maas
in reply to: RAndroseGlover

To be on the safe side I prevent using spaces and most symbols. So normally I limit myself to the normal letters and of the alphabet andoccasional some numbers.

Of course I also try to prevent words that might be interpreted wrong, like AND, OR, SUM, ABS etc.

The only symbol exception I use is the underscore which I have not experienced problems with.

So no +, - & etc.

Sometimes it is not directly an issue within revit, but might cause issues down the road when you start exporting data to other programs.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report