Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error - cannot be ignored

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dgt.mantis
2399 Views, 2 Replies

Error - cannot be ignored

I have tried to open my Revit file and it gives me the error that the central file has been moved and I must save it as a central again.  I click ok and it gives me the error "Can't obtain permission to edit the element: the Central Model is inaccessable.  You can check out worksets at risk, but consider carefully!"  The "OK" button on this message is grayed out.  So I click "Cancel" and it then says "Load Cancelled" and never opens.

I have tried the following:

1 - I have tried moving it to a different space on the server in hopes of seperating it from any links or anything that might be messing it up.

2 - I have tried to open it from a local file.

3 - I have tried auditing it.

4 - I have tried opening it in 2014 (it is a 2013 file).

None of this has worked.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dgt.mantis

It sounds like the Central File was moved to another location after it was created. You cannot simply move the Central File at will because original file path is stored as the Central File's address, so in trying to open it from another location, it recognizes the different path and tried to connect with the Central File at the stored address (which apparently is no longer there). You can recreate your Central File in the new location - open the file (through Revit) with the option "Detach from Central" (in the Open dialog), opt to preserve Worksets, and the use Save As to save the new Central File to the Desired Location. You will have to exit and then create a new Local File, and then use Relinquish All Mine because you will have permission of all elements Having had it open as a Central File.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
dgt.mantis
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I do understand about not moving the file.  It in fact wasn't moved which lead to the problem I described.  As to the "detach from central" option, I tried this and it was unsuccessful.  I was able to open an old backup file we had sent to a consultant. This file was pretty close to the original in its development, so not a lot of time was lost.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report