Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

equal spacing between linked objects

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
kwg06516
933 Views, 3 Replies

equal spacing between linked objects

Can someone tell me why I get a constraint error when I try to equally space a reference plane I just created between two trusses in a linked structural file?

Why is Revit trying to move objects in the linked file as opposed to the reference plane?  If I do equalls between two walls the plane goes right to the middle. Nothing is pinned or a part of a locked workset. 

Capture.PNG

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cbcarch
in reply to: kwg06516

Probably because the trusses are in the Linked model, and may be constrained inside it. Dimensioning items in Linked files can create problems, and we usually avoid it if at all possible. The Ref. Planes and dimensions are trying to associate with the geometry in the Linked model.

If you think about it, it's actually "good behavior"--as it lessens the amount of possible "damage" that could occur by someone trying to edit another author's model.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 4
kwg06516
in reply to: cbcarch

Cleaning out my inbox and found a link back to this thread.  Missed your reply I guess.

I have to disagree with the classification of this as "good behavior".  If the purpose, at least as I can understand it, is to find equal spacing between two points, then those two points SHOULD NOT MOVE.  More the half the times I try to use EQ to obtain equal spacing Revit tries to move one or both outer boundaries, even when nothing is constrained or pinned.  What's the point of trying to move a door to midpoint between two walls if Revit instead moves a wall to satisfy the condition?

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD 2015

Revit 2015

Message 4 of 4
SteveKStafford
in reply to: kwg06516

This issue is that it is a Reference Plane you are using. They are the top dog in the constraint relationship and attempting to use the EQ constraint means Revit thinks you want to change the linked elements, which can't be altered. That's the logic in this case, like it or not. 🙂  If you use a Detail Line you'll find Revit is happy to do it...

You could use math to divide the total distance in half, Revit will move the Reference Plane that way. Select the Reference Plane, in one of the dimension values and type =YourTotalWidthValue / 2.

EQAdjust.jpg

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report