Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy Analysis - How do you specify Window thermal properties

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ChrisBriley-ID
262 Views, 2 Replies

Energy Analysis - How do you specify Window thermal properties

I'm new to using Revit for energy analysis.  I'd so love to be able to run an anaylysis on my model and get results I can trust.  I haven't even run the simulation yet, because as I was entering thermal properties of my windows, well, I couldn't.  I could choose from a list.  My windows are not in the list.  For example, I need windows with a SHGC of 0.62, Ug of 0.106, and frames with a U of 0.12.  I can see theses values come in (except for the frames) but I can't change them.  they are grayed out.  Can Revit not do this?! That would be crazy.  

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Where are you editing the values? In a window family or in the energy analysis settings? In a family the materials used define the thermal properties. You have to edit the material to produce the correct values. In the energy analysis dialog you are just choosing from a list of named glazing, you can ignore the names and focus on finding some close values instead.

There are two approaches to running the analysis, building as a volume with general construction characteristics (30,000 foot view, by adjusting/using energy analysis settings) or based on the building components you model. For the latter to work it takes more effort. You have to be careful to define/verify all the materials that are being used are reporting values you expect to require/achieve.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 3

Ah!  I didn't realize you could tweak the family and set the parameters there.  I'll have to look into that and give this another try. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report