Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Switches

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Austin.McCollum
226 Views, 3 Replies

Electrical Switches

How could I create a Switch that is hosted to a door jam? I need to create a door jam switch for when i do the electrical  plans?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Austin.McCollum

Create the Family as face-based rather than Wall-Hosted. That way, you can host it to any vertical surface. This is how the default electrical Lighting Switch Family is designed. (Attached is the Revit 2013 OOTB version.)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
Austin.McCollum
in reply to: CoreyDaun

So i have created a switch and have many different variations of that switch under the created switch. How would i just change that one switch to be face based instead of wall based, or would i have to create a different switch just for face based?

Message 4 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Austin.McCollum

There is currently no direct way to change a Family's host, but there is a work-around involving Copy/Monitor tools. In order to convert your Wall-Hosted Family to a Face-Based Family, follow this procedure below:

1. Create a new Project and draw a Wall. The type doesn't matter.

2. Load in the desired Family and place one instance of each Type on the Wall.

3. Save this Project somewhere temporarily and close it. Start another new Project.

4. Link the previous Project file into this one. The placement of the Linked Model is irrelevant.

5. Go to Collaborate tab » Copy/Monitor ▼ Select Link. Select the Linked Project and use Copy to create a copy of each of the placed Elements.

6. The Family is now converted to Face-Based and may be saved/exported from this Project to a separate file for use elsewhere.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report