Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egress Paths as railings

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
checkis
3798 Views, 2 Replies

Egress Paths as railings

Hi there, I'm trying out the idea of using railings as egress path markers on our code plans. I've created a simple baluster family that is just a vertical model line (5' Should be tall enough to get cut through in plan) and a nested annotation symbol (in our case, an arrowhead to indicate direction) on the reference level.  The baluster is supposed to show up every 4' along the railing, ideally giving me a line for the rail with arrowheads every 4' in a plan view. When I bring the family into a railing and make the railing, the annotation symbol doesn't show up in plan. Am I missing something? Is this a weird/wrong way to approach this? any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: checkis

Hi checkis! Welcome to the Discussion Groups!

I don't think that the Generic Annotations will show up at all. Symbolic Lines display, just not the embedded Generic Annotation.

On a side note, are you certain you wish to use a model element for an egress path? There may be complications with visibility (especially when someone links in your model), clashes, schedules, and material take-offs that may arise from this. There is a method of using Line-Based Detail Items to create and schedule a path of egress described on AUGI.com, which you can find following the link below.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?138757-Length-of-a-segmented-line

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: checkis

To add to and clarify, Detail Items can now be scheduled in Revit 2014, so this should make the ideal Travel Distance method, since it will only be visible on the View in which they were drawn. I've attached a video of my process in quickly making one from scratch, and I am using Revit 2014.

The only thing I left out of the Schedule was the Filter. You can easily set it to include only those Detail Item Elements that possess the "Travel Path" parameter. Additionally, the Detail Item Tag can easily be an embedded Generic Annotation with a Label. I hope this helps!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report