Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egress path - railing or detail item

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
HVAC-Novice
2873 Views, 6 Replies

Egress path - railing or detail item

I want to create an Egress path that automatically shows me the total length and also works through multiple levels.

Cadastrophe had provided a method to do that with details. This gives good results. however, I didn't see a way to use it on stairs and multiple levels (for total length inc. mezzanines etc.)

I created a method with railings that seems to work including multiple floors and I also could schedule it (s. attached screenshot that shows me the lower floor and also the dashed Egress path on mezzanine).

The way I did it was to create balusters that are shaped like arrows, and place them every 4 ft along the railing. So yes it is a bit cheating and a workaround, but works for Egress purposes.

I learned the hard way that railings aren't really families like windows etc. that I can save elsewhere, but more like walls that are not saved and manipulated separately. This also seems to apply to "handrail type", Railing", and "top Rail type". So I only could play with baluster families. However, those couldn't get shared parameters. So I'm a bit limited. I also wasn't able to create subcategories for balusters. So all the railing families are not as flexible as other families.

My concern with using railings is, how do I include actual railing on the stairs when the stair already has the "Egress railing"? And since I can't create subcategories, my views would show the "Egress railings" whenever I show normal railings. The only workaround seems to be to manually hide the railing I don't want to show in each view.

Does any one have a better idea? I googled a lot, but didn't find more. I know of the Stafford Egress method, but think what Cadastrophe provided is much better (and also what my railing does so far).

Revit version: R2024.2
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

the only progress I made was to be able to place the "egress railing" in the center of the stairs so that I can add the regular railings to the stairs.

the problem is, how do I display in a view the normal stairs, but not the "egress" stairs and vice versa? There doesn't seem to be a way to create sub-categories. I only can manually hide the element, which seems tedious.

I was able to create a schedule and a tag, but noticed i wasn't able to add parameters to the railing family. So i use the "identity Data" parameters. Would be good to be able to add more parameters.

i think I have a pretty good workaround (even when i have to manually hide the egress railing. I would appreciate any advice to improve this.

Message 3 of 7
HVAC-Novice

I found a solution to my workaround to have to manually hide the "egress rails". I created a filter for my view templates. The rail will have a comment "Egress" and in my section views where i show the regular railings, i filter them out. So this works pretty good and I think the egress mystery is resolved.

It is pretty slick, I just moved a door to meet a 100' requirement and seeing the distance in realtime is helpful.

Message 4 of 7
amorap

Hi from Spain.

In my opinión, it´s better to use property lines.

It's posible to tag and schedule segments of property lines to obtain the total length of the egress path.

Saludos.

Augusto Mora
Architect & teacher of Building Projects at CPIFP Pirámide. Huesca (Spain).
Revit 2014 certified profesional.
Message 5 of 7
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: amorap

But the property lines do not go up and down (for stairs etc.), do they? For example if I have a mezzanine, the egress path goes from mezzanine, down the stairs and then on the level below to the exit. the height of the stairs adds to the total length since people have to travel horizontally and vertically.

Message 6 of 7
amorap

You´re right property lines are 2D segments. This trick its only suitable for 2d paths.

The railing method has the drawback of visibility: you need to turno off the visibility by hand of this "special railing", but the length is more accurate when the egress path is 3D.

In Spain,  an egress path may finish in a fire door at the same floor, like the door of a safety stair or similar.

Regards from Spain.

Augusto Mora
Architect & teacher of Building Projects at CPIFP Pirámide. Huesca (Spain).
Revit 2014 certified profesional.
Message 7 of 7
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: amorap

Same here if you have a fire rated stair case (i.e. 2-hour) that will be the "EXIT" you need to get to. Typical for high-rise. But many smaller buildings don't have separated staircases, also not mezzanines. So I need to account for the path on upper level, the length going down the stairs, and then the length from the stairs to exit (mostly outside door) of the ground level.

I had built something with generic models and adaptive points that kind of works, but is not straight forward and still cumbersome. but I can schedule and show in schedule allowed and actual length etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report