Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing DWG Files in revit

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jona463e
1742 Views, 2 Replies

Editing DWG Files in revit

Hey gang, i ́m participating in a architectural design draft, regarding renovation of an industrial building. The building is only uploaded in .DWG and .3DS, which presumably means it´s origanally drawn in Auto Cad. But when i link the DWG (ACAD) file to Revit, it treats it like a component making it impossible to edit walls, windows, making cross sections, floor plans, checking room heights etc. Is there anyway i can resolve this problem other than learning how to draw AutoCad better ?

All Help & tips will be recieved with open arms Smiley Happy

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: jona463e

That's just normal. Revit is not meant to edit AutoCAD entities. You need to model the building with Revit elements.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3

hi,

Alfredo is right. You can not take a 3d uninteligent model and turn it into an inteligent one in Revit.

The single possibility would be, in my opinion,  if  the .dwg was made in Autocad Architecture  (ACA) and there were used AEC entities (like walls,floors, windows,roofs ,etc)

In this case you can open the project file in ACA and export as IFC.

Then , open as  IFC in Revit. A set of import options are available before opening the file...but as the italians say :traduttore tradittore  (every translation is a traitor) ..you are not sure if the result is very good...

Anyway ,if you need to work more on the file after importing it , it's much better to make it from the begining in Revit ( as Alfredo says) 

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report