Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing an imperial revit detail family with type catalogue

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
GREMMELS1
298 Views, 2 Replies

Editing an imperial revit detail family with type catalogue

I am trying to edit the revit out of the box detail family "K-Series Bar Joist-Side".  This family has a type catalogue associated with it.  What I am trying to do to the family is just show more of it.  Most of our wall sections extend farther than 3'-6" into the bulding so using the ootb revit family is basically useless because it stops before it gets to the break line of the section.  Whenever I make changes to the family (adding more rods and extending the bottom amd top chord) it only chances one type and is no longer referenced to the type catalogue text file.  This ofcourse is becasue I have to do a save as on the original revit family.  So where can I go to find the type catalogue text file linked to the original family? and can I copy this text file and re link it to my new family so that my changes are made and the type catalogue is retained?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
David_W_Koch
in reply to: GREMMELS1

There should be a text file with the same name as the family file (using the family you mention, K-Series Bar Joist-Side.txt), in the same folder as the family.  If you are opening the out-of-the-box family and saving it under another name, if you copy the text file, give it the same file name as your family (excepting the txt extension, of course) and place the copied text file in the same folder as your renamed family file, it should work as a type catalogue for you.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 3
GREMMELS1
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks.  It works now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report