Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit wall profiles?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
doni49
793 Views, 6 Replies

Edit wall profiles?

I have three wall segments.  I want to change the profile so that they GRADUALLY go down to nothing (or near nothing).  I attempted to do this by editing the "profile" of the walls.  But what I get is not right.

The attached image is a composite of three separate screen shots.

The first portion shows the wall in plan view.  The second and third portions are the section (that was shown on the plan view).  The first section shows what I want to do to the wall profile.  The second section shows the results of my attempt.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

TIA!

EDIT:  The image didn't look right after posting it inline.  I've also attached it as a file.

WallProfile.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
awes
in reply to: doni49

Draw a reference plane that describes the top of your walls. Select the walls ->Modify wall ->Attach Top. Regards, Anders

Message 3 of 7
doni49
in reply to: awes

Thanks!

That makes a lot of sense.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 7
doni49
in reply to: awes

😞

I just tried it and the results didn't look much better.

WallProfile2.png

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 7

Awes reply is correct....I wonder why it didn't work for you....

I attach a screenshot with a wall cuted with a Reference Plane as Awes says (left drawing )...

Maybe  your walls a not  chaind or  joined by mitter, or disjoint ..... I don't know....

Another method can be using Boolean function using a substraction between the wall and a void component :

Architecture > Build > Component > Model in Place > Family Category and Parameters > Walls > Forms >Void Extrusion...make an extrusion  (see the attached file, right drawing) and  from Geometry >Cut  and Finish....With this method can be done not only liniar cuts but also curved or jagged...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
MKEllis
in reply to: doni49

I think your problem is that with the direction of the walls - there is no simple straight single plane cut that will produce the effect you want.

In reality, if that wall were to be built in say brick - there would in all likelihood be a flat-topped section in the triangle that is produced when two wall segments change direction. The slope needs to change direction with the wall below. I think your best bet is to make each of those wall segments separate and use [Edit Profile] to edit each segment with the correct start and end height.

Not sure how the triangular fillet would best be done - probably include it with one of the other segments and work out how much of a horizontal section is needed at the end of the profile to accommodate it.

Good luck

Martin

Message 7 of 7

for Martin

Speaking from the constructor point of view you are right...in real building you never make a cut like that , but you make slope on segments of wall especialy for brick walls.

But as doni49 shows in image 2 -section - he wants a staight line cut not a succesion of sloped walls....it doesn't seem to be corect as building method for brickwork ( probably in concrete could be done ) but correct as geometrical construction  . A plane cuts a volume after a straight line in a profile view...

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report