Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Underlay

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
RevitCADMaster
2493 Views, 7 Replies

Edit Underlay

I have a model with multiple floors. When I am in Level 2, with Level 1 as an Underlay I can still edit walls and other objects from Level 1. I know there is a way to lock the Underlay, I just can't make it work. Pinning the entire Level 1 is not an options, because this is not View dependent.

Help is much obliged.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
LisaDrago
in reply to: RevitCADMaster

Hello and Welcome to the discussion!

Are you using 2014?

If so you have two options to access this option.

There is in 2014 a check box that will allow you not to select underlay elements.

One is on the ribbon>Modify panel> select the title Select - it is now a pull down and you can unchecked the check box that allows you to select underlay objects. 

The other is in the lower right corner - there is the icon for it you can select.... I have attached an image for reference.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 8
RevitCADMaster
in reply to: LisaDrago

Thank you for the quick reply.

Does this hold for 2013? I am running 2014 but my student is running 2013.

Again; Thanks

Message 4 of 8
rosskirby

Only for 2014.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 8
LisaDrago

This is only for 2014 - it was one of the new features in the release.

They will need to pay attention to what they are selecting - they can always look in the properties dialog box to see what the base is to know if they are grabbing something on the first level or second. Not the best but how I worked.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 6 of 8
RevitCADMaster
in reply to: LisaDrago

The problem really comes to light when the user tries to Align the Second story exterior wall with the First story. Even though we have set the Underlay to be Half-tone and a Hidden linetype we have seen time and again that it is easy to pick the wrong wall first, and then not realize until later that the wrong wall moved. I have even set-up Reference planes on the outside parameter of the structure and the wrong wall still either get moved or erased. We have had to redo the exterior walls about three times now. Wasted effort.

This is a small residential remodel but I have actually considered separating out each floor as a separate model, and then linking them back in. It seems to be a lot of work for such a small structure.

Any ideal?

Message 7 of 8
rosskirby

@RevitCADMaster wrote:

The problem really comes to light when the user tries to Align the Second story exterior wall with the First story. Even though we have set the Underlay to be Half-tone and a Hidden linetype we have seen time and again that it is easy to pick the wrong wall first, and then not realize until later that the wrong wall moved. I have even set-up Reference planes on the outside parameter of the structure and the wrong wall still either get moved or erased. We have had to redo the exterior walls about three times now. Wasted effort.

This is a small residential remodel but I have actually considered separating out each floor as a separate model, and then linking them back in. It seems to be a lot of work for such a small structure.

Any ideal?

If the exterior wall is continous, it should be modeled as such.  You wouldn't want to model the exterior wall on the first floor, and then again on the second floor, etc.  Just model it once from the lowest level and have it extend up to where it ends, even if it has to span multiple levels.  And for a small residential project, separating out the individual floors is going to present a whole host of other problems when it comes time to document the model.

What you seem to have is an issue with the experience level of the user(s).  You can't just dive in and start moving things around as if they were standalone, independent entities, like you could in CAD.  Everyone has to work on the model as a whole, and understand that a change in one place can affect the whole model.  It takes a while to get used to, but it's way easier in the long run.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 8
RevitCADMaster
in reply to: rosskirby

I suppose I forgot to mention that I am teaching this student Revit. This is her first house to work on. The structure is an existing house with the addition of Second and Third floors. To complicate this We are in the Pacific Northwest region and the house is in Argentina. The construction of the walls is foreign to me (ceramic time centers with cement exteriors) All of the project is in metric. We are trying to describe the structure in such a way that we will be able to get a building permit, and get it built correctly. So we are working with multiple Phases and Design Options.

When it was suggested that we use this house for the instruction of Revit it sounded easy. Wow! I was wrong. I should have known I was in for a ride when I realized that her first language was NOT English.

Anyway, I am glad that Autodesk has added this feature in 2014.

Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report