Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit the keynote family

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
arkman
4074 Views, 4 Replies

Edit the keynote family

I'm trying to edit the keynote family with no luck. We are updating our standards and getting into using the keynote system in revit. I have added the correct keynote to most of our standard materials and its working great. I then opened the keynote family and changed the justification of the text to justify the way we do notes. I also changed the line style of the leader lines so it matches our other notes. All went well. I get stuck when I try to change the gap between the leader tail and the text. I can't find anywhere to actually edit the line/arrow in the family that would let me change how that works. If you see my attached image the one on the top is our standard note and the other two are the keynote family.

Any idea how to set/change that gap?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jdagen
in reply to: arkman

These kinds of bugs are inexcusable. The descriptive text of a keynote tag can't be left justified because the leaders won't align properly. So text cant be aligned nice and automatically. Autodesk fully develop you software before you put it on the market. I love revit, but these things make the software look bad to the people in our office who are responsible for paying for it.

Message 3 of 5
LisaDrago
in reply to: jdagen

In 2012 there does not seem to be this issue...

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 4 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: jdagen

@jdagen wrote:

These kinds of bugs are inexcusable. The descriptive text of a keynote tag can't be left justified because the leaders won't align properly. So text cant be aligned nice and automatically. Autodesk fully develop you software before you put it on the market. I love revit, but these things make the software look bad to the people in our office who are responsible for paying for it.

I disagree. I don't see any bugs in this case. Revit comes with the necessary tools to make this preference possible, but it cannot come already loaded with all the possible preferences for all the offices. That is the job of the family maker or the BIM manager.

You need two keynote families, as shown in the attached illustration: left and right. Put an invisible line separated from the beginning of the text a certain gap from the vertical reference plane, controlled by a parameter. In this example, I am using 3/32", which will be the gap when the drawing is printed on paper, at any scale. The leader will start from the invisible line. Make that gap match your standard text notes.

Do not expect mathematical precision in anything related to text in Revit because it is not made of vectors but graphics (True Type fonts), therefore all distances related to text are an approximation. However it it is possible to control that gap by a parameter.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 5

I have implemented the keynote families as you suggest . . . with a gap parameter to an invisible light and with the left and right justification.  It works really nicely.  The one thing that remains in my mind is the ability to set the width of the keynote text as a parameter (instance most preferably).  It looks like this cannot be done currently . . . am I missing something?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report