Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dutch gables

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
akrobata
1306 Views, 11 Replies

dutch gables

I am having serious trouble making a dutch gable roof.
the procedure I have requires me to start of with a hip roof, create a working plane and then create a roof by extrusion.

From there I pick the appropriate lines, open the properties box and select "extrusion end" at eg. -5000

when I click finnish this pops up
Extrusion roof sketch must be open.The roof's thickness and material composition are defined in its type.

I tried a lot of thing but can't seem to find the problem

thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: akrobata

- Roof by extrusion requires drawing a single line in elevation, this line will be the base for an offset upward [thickness] and an extrusion in depth [width of your roof]. So -do not- select 'the approriate lines'... Eventhough I'm Dutch, I have no idea what the term 'Dutch Gable Roof' describes, what's the layout of such a roof? I do think however that the easiest way to draw it [judging from you wanting to pick lines] is 'By footprint' - pick the walls in plan, add elevation-arrows instead of using the 'defines slope' - with these arrows you can make quite some roofshapes I'd say. Post a pic of your intentions for more feedback, you might consider joining AUGI for good Revit-talk. ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````````````` "akrobata" schreef in bericht news:12327186.1095140441977.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I am having serious trouble making a dutch gable roof. > the procedure I have requires me to start of with a hip roof, create a working plane and then create a roof by extrusion. > > From there I pick the appropriate lines, open the properties box and select "extrusion end" at eg. -5000 > > when I click finnish this pops up > Extrusion roof sketch must be open.The roof's thickness and material composition are defined in its type. > > I tried a lot of thing but can't seem to find the problem > > thanks
Message 3 of 12
sbrown

Here is an example of how to do it.

What you do is
1. create a roof by footprint,
2. set the slopes on all "non dutch" sides
3. on the dutch gable side, make in non slope defining
4. now split the non slope defining line twice(once at each location you want the slope to start at.
5. draw a slope arrow from the middle of that new segment towards the ridge of the roof.
6. pick the slope arrow and set its properties to be by slope(not height at tail) then set the height offset to the distance above the eave you want the dutch hip to start.

well I've been trying to attach a zip file and I can't so I hope you can follow the explaination.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

aha.. I just looked up what a Dutch Gable is.. it's called 'wolfseind' over here. Directly translated you'd say a wolves' ending - donno where the name comes from.. I never realised it was so typical for our little country. Then again, it might have nothing to do with it since all -bad-strange-unfair- things seem to have the co-notation Dutch in American-English language. [I wonder why _ hehe] "sdbrown" schreef in bericht news:32299746.1095165932914.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Here is an example of how to do it. > > What you do is > 1. create a roof by footprint, > 2. set the slopes on all "non dutch" sides > 3. on the dutch gable side, make in non slope defining > 4. now split the non slope defining line twice(once at each location you want the slope to start at. > 5. draw a slope arrow from the middle of that new segment towards the ridge of the roof. > 6. pick the slope arrow and set its properties to be by slope(not height at tail) then set the height offset to the distance above the eave you want the dutch hip to start. > > well I've been trying to attach a zip file and I can't so I hope you can follow the explaination.
Message 5 of 12
sbrown

I believe it comes for the dutch tudor style homes. Wether they are really dutch or not, I can't say.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Dutch Tudor style... ahum.. another thing to lookup - dutch tudor? - okay, I did some searching and I believe it indeed seems to come from what you could maybe call a form of Dutch Barok. It has never really been a 'style' in the strict sense of the word, as it is 'only' noted as a part of the Dutch golden age [18th century colonial period]... it's more of an excess I guess. In this period our tiny country was the centerpoint of international trade and money kept pooring in so abundantly that they hardly knew what to do with it any more. You might guess that this was only acquired at the dispence of other peoples, specially the colonys in Asia, Africa and central America. Back to housing; It is very appealing though to see such Dutch housing in their 'original' state still nowerdays [often renovated or restaurated of course]. At present this style isn't used at all by anyone here, it's not fashionable I guess. But that can change by the day, right now I believe the style of the 50's upperclass housing is experiencing a strong revival, whole suburbs are ercted in this manner. so much for history, let's go back to the future with REVIT ;-) "sdbrown" schreef in bericht news:25745196.1095184913058.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I believe it comes for the dutch tudor style homes. Wether they are really dutch or not, I can't say.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Dutch Roof sounds right but Dutch Tudor ...... Thought Tudor was english. "v.valentijn"
wrote in message news:4147ee27_1@newsprd01... > Dutch Tudor style... ahum.. another thing to lookup - dutch tudor? > - okay, I did some searching and I believe it indeed seems to come from what > you could maybe call a form of Dutch Barok. It has never really been a > 'style' in the strict sense of the word, as it is 'only' noted as a part of > the Dutch golden age [18th century colonial period]... it's more of an > excess I guess. In this period our tiny country was the centerpoint of > international trade and money kept pooring in so abundantly that they hardly > knew what to do with it any more. You might guess that this was only > acquired at the dispence of other peoples, specially the colonys in Asia, > Africa and central America. > Back to housing; It is very appealing though to see such Dutch housing in > their 'original' state still nowerdays [often renovated or restaurated of > course]. At present this style isn't used at all by anyone here, it's not > fashionable I guess. But that can change by the day, right now I believe the > style of the 50's upperclass housing is experiencing a strong revival, whole > suburbs are ercted in this manner. > > so much for history, let's go back to the future with REVIT > ;-) > > "sdbrown" schreef in bericht > news:25745196.1095184913058.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > I believe it comes for the dutch tudor style homes. Wether they are > really dutch or not, I can't say. > >
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

This is Dutch Colonial I assume this roof tyle with tudor siding will make it Dutch Tudor? "David Metcalf" wrote in message news:4165b8fc$1_1@newsprd01... > Dutch Roof sounds right but Dutch Tudor ...... Thought Tudor was english. > > "v.valentijn"
wrote in message > news:4147ee27_1@newsprd01... > > Dutch Tudor style... ahum.. another thing to lookup - dutch tudor? > > - okay, I did some searching and I believe it indeed seems to come from > what > > you could maybe call a form of Dutch Barok. It has never really been a > > 'style' in the strict sense of the word, as it is 'only' noted as a part > of > > the Dutch golden age [18th century colonial period]... it's more of an > > excess I guess. In this period our tiny country was the centerpoint of > > international trade and money kept pooring in so abundantly that they > hardly > > knew what to do with it any more. You might guess that this was only > > acquired at the dispence of other peoples, specially the colonys in Asia, > > Africa and central America. > > Back to housing; It is very appealing though to see such Dutch housing in > > their 'original' state still nowerdays [often renovated or restaurated of > > course]. At present this style isn't used at all by anyone here, it's not > > fashionable I guess. But that can change by the day, right now I believe > the > > style of the 50's upperclass housing is experiencing a strong revival, > whole > > suburbs are ercted in this manner. > > > > so much for history, let's go back to the future with REVIT > > ;-) > > > > "sdbrown" schreef in bericht > > news:25745196.1095184913058.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > I believe it comes for the dutch tudor style homes. Wether they are > > really dutch or not, I can't say. > > > > > >
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

I donno.. I have given up on identifying what is ment by Dutch Tudor. First I though it might be interesting to know since I do renovations too.. but this 'style' does not exist for real at all.. it's some sort of new thing in an old style. So now I've seen enough anyway to know for sure that I won't ever be interested in building such thing anyway [and I can assure you if I'm not going there, my customers won't either . 😉 if they want it, they can take it to some other fools' desk] "David Metcalf" schreef in bericht news:4165bacf_2@newsprd01... > > > > This is Dutch Colonial I assume this roof tyle with tudor siding will make > it Dutch Tudor? > > > > "David Metcalf" wrote in message > news:4165b8fc$1_1@newsprd01... > > Dutch Roof sounds right but Dutch Tudor ...... Thought Tudor was english. > > > > "v.valentijn"
wrote in message > > news:4147ee27_1@newsprd01... > > > Dutch Tudor style... ahum.. another thing to lookup - dutch tudor? > > > - okay, I did some searching and I believe it indeed seems to come from > > what > > > you could maybe call a form of Dutch Barok. It has never really been a > > > 'style' in the strict sense of the word, as it is 'only' noted as a part > > of > > > the Dutch golden age [18th century colonial period]... it's more of an > > > excess I guess. In this period our tiny country was the centerpoint of > > > international trade and money kept pooring in so abundantly that they > > hardly > > > knew what to do with it any more. You might guess that this was only > > > acquired at the dispence of other peoples, specially the colonys in > Asia, > > > Africa and central America. > > > Back to housing; It is very appealing though to see such Dutch housing > in > > > their 'original' state still nowerdays [often renovated or restaurated > of > > > course]. At present this style isn't used at all by anyone here, it's > not > > > fashionable I guess. But that can change by the day, right now I believe > > the > > > style of the 50's upperclass housing is experiencing a strong revival, > > whole > > > suburbs are ercted in this manner. > > > > > > so much for history, let's go back to the future with REVIT > > > ;-) > > > > > > "sdbrown" schreef in bericht > > > news:25745196.1095184913058.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > > I believe it comes for the dutch tudor style homes. Wether they are > > > really dutch or not, I can't say. > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 10 of 12
Steve_Stafford

Most likely "Dutch Tudor" and "Dutch Gable" are just a mixing of "metaphors". The use of the term "Dutch Gable" in this context most likely refers to the "Dutch Colonial" housing style which features a Gambrel roof (two roof pitches, lower roof steeper). There is another entirely different detail called Dutch Gable however.

Tudor refers to a period of English history and monarchy (associated, I believe, with the various King Henry's) and the architectural references to it have a variety of associated features, most notably the visible timber structure though usually only "skin deep".
Message 11 of 12
Steve_Stafford

Here's an example of the Dutch Gable I found...
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Aha.. now that I see it - it looks like something you would find on the Dutch Antilles indeed [st.maarten/aruba/curacao/bonaire] - the old colonial areas in the carribean. It's sort of a tropical immitation of classic old Dutch houses. http://www.raremaps.de/printscarribean.html http://proto.thinkquest.nl/~jrb046/land/ned%20antillen/curacao/nedhuizen.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report