Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

duplicate/ additional detail items

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jledgewood409
599 Views, 2 Replies

duplicate/ additional detail items

when I insert a drafting view using insert from file a lot of my detail items become duplicates e.g. cmu, cmu 1, cmu 2, break line, break line 1, break line 2. instead of keeping the same name. wondering why this happens and moreso how to prevent or eleminate this?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BIMologist_
in reply to: jledgewood409

The reason it is happening is because the two definitions Type parameters are not the same.

i.e.

the from file may have CMU Type parameter having a value 042000 (say for keynote) in your host file where you are brining in the CMU it is 040000 for the keynote. Revit sees this as a conflict and will not bring in the family with the same name . instead it appends it 1 2 3

Break line is notorious for that. as the values differ between the files.

so if you do not want them to create new number appended families, you will need to have the definition the same on both files. save the RFA files from one file and load it in to the other and overrite family. this way the definitions are same on both es and no need to duplicate and append family name

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 3 of 3
luke-1
in reply to: BIMologist_

I have been trying to figure this issue out myself for the past 2 years. I have to respectfully disagree that the solution is a simple as different type parameters in a family type. I don't doubt what you say is accurate in that different type parameters will cause duplicates, but a simple solution of loading the latest family into the source file will not always solve the issue. I believe instance parameters come into play with this issue as well. There comes a point where Revit cannot reconcile the two families and creates a duplicate. I used to think that this duplicating families issue only affected custom families however, I have just recently noticed an out of the box Revit family doing the same thing (A325 Bolts-Head.rfa). I'd really like to solve this problem!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report