Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Monitor Setup for Revit

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
gdfisher
23150 Views, 17 Replies

Dual Monitor Setup for Revit

Got a new, second monitor for my system for Christmas, but can't figure out how to make use of it in Revit. Can't seem to move various project or family views to display on the second display. Autodesk help screens can be moved but not drawing views. Any ideas?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
LisaDrago
in reply to: gdfisher

how do you have your monitors set up? are you extending your desktop?

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 18
gdfisher

I've simply set monitors from 1 to 2 in Windows setup. Desktop does not extend to second monitor (icons), however, the backgound I use is replicated (not extended) on the second display.

Message 4 of 18
haydenwse

You cannot put drawings view on two monitors but you can drag your browser and properties boxes to the second monitor.  Getting them off the page gives you a lot more drawing area.

Message 5 of 18
gdfisher

Thanks for the info. I'll definately use this. Maybe future versions of Revit will make better use of this common capability.

Message 6 of 18
metallenra

Hi:

Yes, you can use 2 monitor. It is not automatic. Fist your desktop have to be extended, not cloned. You will see the windows taskbar in the main monitor and the second monitor will only show an empty desktop. When you open Revit do not maximize your window. Restore it down then simply drag it across the 2 windows. Then open any view and resize it.

I personally, open all top views in one monitor, and 3D views and elevations in the second monitor. That way I can visualize constantly what I’m doing from the top and 3D at the same time. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 18
gdfisher

I'm using Revit 2011. If I have followed your instructions correctly, I'm unable to "stretch" a view to the sexond monitor. If a view is reduced and dragged to the other display, it simply goes as far as the side of the first monitor and no further.

Message 8 of 18
DParkGForce

I do this occasionally but I dont like having the ribbon all the way to the far left. If there is a way to reposition the ribbon I would probably do this more often.

It would be nice to be able to detach windows and arrange them where you want them.

Windows 7
RAC2012
Message 9 of 18
DParkGForce

Are you able to move your mouse between the 2 monitors?

In display settings are your monitors set properly for left and right? It is easy to have them switched so that the right side of the right monitor continues to the left side of the left monitor.

Windows 7
RAC2012
Message 10 of 18
gdfisher

Yes, everything is set correctly. The cursor moves between the monitors and they are set correctly (#1 on right and #2 on left.

Message 11 of 18
DParkGForce

Hmm. Can you move a smaller window between screens or is it just the revit window? Try making it smaller and see if it works.

If one monitor is set higher than another in display settings windows can catch at the top or bottom.

Windows 7
RAC2012
Message 12 of 18
gdfisher
in reply to: DParkGForce

I can run different applications on each monitor. For example, I can have an internet session displayed on one and a Revit project on the other.

Message 13 of 18
octavio2

I have the same problem: I can move the Properties and the Project Browser to the other monitor but I cannot move the drawing window tht is inside the Revit window to a second monitor, not even when it is diminished as suggested.  Seems that there is a missing step somewhere that was not explained?

Message 14 of 18
metallenra
in reply to: metallenra

Like I said, Yes you can use revit in 2 monitors. Here is a screen shot of revit in 2 monitors.

Message 15 of 18
gdfisher
in reply to: DParkGForce

Ahhhh! You're using Revit 2012. My version is 2011. Thanks for all the effort.

Message 16 of 18
octavio2

I used to drag the Properties Palette and the Project Browser in Revit 2012 to the second monitor and these remained there always. 

Now with Revit 2013 these move back to the first monitor everytime that I open a new session and also when I open the Family Editor (when I open the Family Editor these always go back to the first monitor), and the next thing is, when I go back to the main Project again, the project's Properties Palette and the Browser appear on the first monitor and not on the second monitor where I originally left them.

Do I am missing something? 

Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

Message 17 of 18
donaldsondesigns

Message 18 of 18
arnel01

I had been using more than one monitor for several years. I even have used 3 monitors. It is frustrating to drag the window manually but I fix it with a specific video card.

Testing different video cards I used the ATI FirePro W5000. In the settings it have a check mark for "child windows". It will allow you to maximize Revit across all monitors, but when you maximize a view it Will be maximized inside the monitor that is in.

I have used other video cards that don't have that feature. It is specific the the ATI FirePro line up.

I hope this help other Revit Users as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report