Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dormer walls. Int vs. Ext.?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
shawn
343 Views, 4 Replies

Dormer walls. Int vs. Ext.?

I realize there are probaly several ways to handle this, but I'm just wondering if anyone has a best practices sort of solution for this problem.

Dormer walls are by nature both interior walls below the roof line and exterior walls above the roof line. What is the best way to model a dormer wall to address this? This question assumes there is a best way. Perhaps I just have to ignore the fact that I have exterior siding in my attic space???

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ccollins
in reply to: shawn

You can:

1. Model 2 separate wall types, then Join Geometry.

2. Use a Stacked Wall, combining the 2 wall types into a single "stacked wall".

Always try to build in Revit the way it will be built in the field.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 5
shawn
in reply to: ccollins

Well, that certainly sounds simiple enough. I have not yet worked with stacked wall types, but I understand the concept. I should try this before using up any more of your time.... but I didn't realize you could create a diagonal interface (roof slope)  in the longitudinal axis of the wall where the two wall types meet. So I guess this means you can?

Message 4 of 5
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: shawn

I did this for a school exercise where I wanted CMU for most of the wall, solid concrete for a bond beam for the top, and then a plywood and studs wall for the end gable above -- all with stucco. With nothing in my school book to go by, I searched the internet for solutions and practiced this one and it turned out really well 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 5
shawn
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Okay, I can see the "nattering" as you put it, but I don't see any attachment or descriptive methodology that shows what you're talking about. What is it you want me to accept as a solution? Did you mean to attach additional information?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report