Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dormer in existing roof

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
tbryanm
2866 Views, 9 Replies

Dormer in existing roof

• I have an existing roof with a new dormer.
  • NEW dormer is created in a view with phase filter set to Show Existing+New 

Shouldn't the roof opening be shown as demo in the demo view??

When the opening is selected, the properties show the Phase Created=Existing and it is grayed out and not able to change to New Construction.

What am I missing????

I'm using Revit Arch LT 2013

Please, I do not need to know what Revit can and cannot do. Solutions only please.

Thanks a bunch

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
tbryanm
in reply to: tbryanm

Update....

More Revit inconsistancies that drive me insane!!!

I just created another dormer.

Same view, same settings, same roof.

This time when the dormer opening is selected it shows that it was created in New Construction!! WTF???

And now I am even more confused because the demo view shows the opening as new. Thought that if it was created in New Construction it would show as demo in the demo view ... WRONG!!! Major fail!!

Hey Autodesk? You listening here?? Isn't this an old issue? Please focus on making this version better instead of pumping another release. Please!!

Message 3 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

All other objects display correctly as per phase settings, except openings, probably because an opening is not something that can be demolished but created. I don't know about the internal reasons. Bottom line is, openings are not well aware of display settings of phases. But you can correct the display easily with the linework tool.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 10
tbryanm
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I've had to resort using the 'fudge' factor by doing a masking region. But the issue will not be resolved until Autodesk fixes the problem. But then they are so busy pumping out the next 'buggy' release that they likely won't have the time. So we as a Revit nation... are screwed.

Message 5 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

No, we're not, and that is a minor thing that can be resolved easily.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 10
tbryanm
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo, we don't care what you know!! Or that it can be 'resolved easily'. WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! Saying it can be resolved is a statement, or observation. Not a solution!

In case you do not understand, I will repeat it for you!  WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!!

Message 7 of 10
ccollins

Solution:

Create a small separate roof in the Existing Phase, where the openings for the dormers are.

Demo them.

Done. Smiley Happy

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 8 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

@tbryanm wrote:

Alfredo, we don't care what you know!! Or that it can be 'resolved easily'. WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! Saying it can be resolved is a statement, or observation. Not a solution!

I wrote in my previous post that it coud be resolved easily with the linework tool. Therefore I am giving you a solution, not just an observation or a statement, as you said.  Beyond that point, I, as an user, cannot suggest any other solution, because I am just a user, not the software developer. You are making a storm out of a glass of water.

Message 9 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

@tbryanm wrote:

In case you do not understand, I will repeat it for you!  WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!! WE WANT SOLUTIONS!!

4-6-2013 9-13-28 PM.jpg

Message 10 of 10

The solution we use for this problem is to make a generic model (not .. based).In this family we put a parametric void (x y z). We set the generic model option: "Cut with Voids When Loaded".

You can place this family (phase "new") in the new dormer opening and use the cut tool to cut the void.

You can add this family to groups. You do have to cut it for every instance. It's a very stable and flexible solution we think.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report