Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doors not hosted by walls

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
regalith
4037 Views, 11 Replies

Doors not hosted by walls

In a project I'm working on we have some doors in large accordian room partitions that need to appear in the schedule however they will not be hosted in a wall in our model.  The walls are 2d in the CAD background from a consultant.  I created a door family that can be placed and scheduled however the "Room #" field does not populate.  Is there a way to add that to the family?  I believe the issue comes up because the doors are not in a wall that is "Room Bounding" or in a wall at all.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: regalith

I don't think that it is just a matter of adding walls and rooms. By reading your post, I infere that you created either a model in-place door, or a family that was not started with the door template but was changed later to the Doors category. Otherwise, I don't know how you could just place doors standing by themselves. That "door family" might not  be able to give you room numbers, because it does not have all the properties and parameters of a true door family created with the template.

Make walls, make rooms, use true door families, place doors into walls, and you will have a correct door schedule with room names.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 12
regalith
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

That is correct the door family I created was not started in the door template.  The goal is to have something to tag and schedule but there isn't a wall to place the door into.  The door template forces a wall host in order to place it in the model.  In our model we don't have a wall to place this door but we do need the door to be scheduled.

Message 4 of 12
regalith

So the solution I have end up with is to place walls, place the doors and then hide the walls in all the views.  The doors stay visible and associated with a room.

Message 5 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

@regalith wrote:

So the solution I have end up with is to place walls, place the doors and then hide the walls in all the views.  The doors stay visible and associated with a room.

That sounds a lot better.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 12
regalith

Not exactly what I was hoping for.  Now I need to make a wall type for a fence and place a room outside the building so I can schedule the gates.  Does anyone have a wall type that works for a chainlink fence and another for a decorative fence?

Message 7 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

@regalith wrote:

...  Now I need to make a wall type for a fence and place a room outside the building so I can schedule the gates.  ..

Just curious... Why would you need a room number for the gate at the fence?

Message 8 of 12
regalith

The decorative gates are part of the exit path requiring exit hardware.  The project manager wants to see them in the schedule.  I'm just trying to make the drawings fit her requirements without putting dumb text over the schedule on the sheet.  

Message 9 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

@regalith wrote:

The decorative gates are part of the exit path requiring exit hardware.  The project manager wants to see them in the schedule.  I'm just trying to make the drawings fit her requirements without putting dumb text over the schedule on the sheet.  

I understand that the gates need to be in the schedule. My question is why do you need to create a room for that gate. Sounds as if the room was a requirement for the door to appear in the schedule.

Message 10 of 12
regalith

I can get  the gates to appear in the schedule however the project manager has an issue with the blank room label space in the schedule.  Each door now has a room location in the schedule except the gates.  

This is just one of the on going issues with Revit in the office.  I'm just looking for a way to meet expectations, trust me I've tried to change them.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

A garden center on a Lowes, Home depot, Walmart or Kmart is a room that needs to be calculated for egress and would receive a room name despite the conventional concept that a room is enclosed and conditioned.  A programmer request would be to click in a blank cell in a schedule and directly assign items/families to the schedule.  This would fix the issue for doors that cannot be associated to a wall because it is a part of a movable room divider but is still needed for egress.

Message 12 of 12
David_W_Koch
in reply to: Anonymous

You could model the fencing that surrounds a retail garden center with Walls, or, if you use some other object for the fencing, you could use Room Separation Lines to define the extents of the garden center and place a Room within those.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report