Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doors in Stacked Walls

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
PhilvK
2453 Views, 5 Replies

Doors in Stacked Walls

I am new to working with stacked walls and have created one with stucco above a brick wainscot 6 feet high, both on cmu. I note that when I insert a door into this wall and use the lower brick portion of the wall as the primary host, a gap is created behind the frame and the face of stucco. See sketch “1” below.

When I use upper stucco portion as the primary host, the brick below covers up the frame. See sketch “2” below.   Is there a way that the brick could be made to stop at the frame as should, or am I doing this incorrectly?

My test file is also attached.

Door in Stacked Wall 1.jpg

Door in Stacked Wall 2.jpg

Thanks Phil

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
L.Maas
in reply to: PhilvK

The behaviour is as expected. The type of door you have selected places the frame against the wall (not in the wall). So depending on which you choose as primary host there it is placed against.

If you look at the screenshot hereunder I have included a second door. You see different behaviour here. In this case the whole door is placed inside the created void (including the frame).

Doors.png

The solution is to choose a different type of door or to modify your door family.

Of course there are other ways to do it, like using a void on your wall to cut away the part that is blocking the frame.

Creating/Using the right door is the cleanest solution.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 6
PhilvK
in reply to: L.Maas

Thank you very much! Can you tell me what properties you included in your door that causes it to be placed in both portions of the wall correctly? Is it as simple as making the frame deeper?

Thanks,

Phil

Message 4 of 6
L.Maas

For this case I took a door from one of the autodesk libraries. What you see is that the whole frame is inside the wall (the opening created in the family)

Doors.png

Louis

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
PhilvK
in reply to: L.Maas

How come Revit doesn't render or show the brick pattern on the top or sides of the brick?

No Brick Render.jpg

Message 6 of 6
L.Maas

I do not have a definite answer to your question. It might be that revit materials are not 'volumetric' thus only 'stuck' to the surface, therfore material not shown on cut places. 

However if you want to do something about this, there are options.

You can wrap the wall at inserts and/or ends (see screenshot). Further you can use the paint tool (see screenshot).

Wall Material.png

Other options are to use sweeps.

Louis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report