Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doors in angled walls

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
GRandall
6988 Views, 13 Replies

Doors in angled walls

When inserting doors into an angled wall how does one use constraints? There are no dimensions or snaps available that I can find, what gives?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ccollins
in reply to: GRandall

By angled, do you mean "tilted" in the vertical plane?

You have to think how will this actually get built in the real world.

Probably need some custom triangular infill walls at jambs, and a soffit at the door head.

You are correct--there are no automatic dimensions, can't Activate Dimensions when the door is placed in a Tilted Wall.

(Wall by Face of Mass). You will need to build another wall toward the inside/interior of the tilted wall to host the door,

as the door seems to insert itself at the intersection of the midpoint of the door's height / opening cut.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 14
GRandall
in reply to: ccollins

No. That would be sloped I am inserting a door into a non-orthographic wall (multiple of 45 degrees). I need the on the fly dimensioning just like the orthograpic wall function.

Message 4 of 14
ccollins

So you mean angled in Plan?

If so, the temporary dimensions are working for me.

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 14
GRandall

I've attached screen shots of the issue I am seeing. Notice that the door in the horizontal wall the temporary dimensions show up but the on in the toilet wall only shows it is selected.

Message 6 of 14
GRandall

Here is the first with the temp dims.

Message 7 of 14
ccollins

Can you select "Activate Dimensions" on the toolbar when the door in the angled wall is selected?

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 8 of 14
CoreyDaun

While using the Aligned Dimension tool, you can hover the cursor over the intersection of the faces of the angled Wall and another Wall, then hit Tab until the intersection point is highlighted (see image below). From there, you can then click on the center plane of the door and the opposite edge of the face of the Wall without trouble. You cannot select the intersection of the Wall center lines.

AngledWall.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 9 of 14
GRandall

Sort of. When the door is selected and the dimension is invoiked it only recognizes the jambs of the door. No wall points are available to snap to. I added other walls at differnt angles within this drawing and they functioned properly but none (30+) of the angled walls allow the exact placement of doors or dimensions.

Message 10 of 14
GRandall
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yes I can do that but under no circumstances do temporary dimensions function on the non ortho walls.

Message 11 of 14
CoreyDaun

GRandall wrote:

"Yes I can do that but under no circumstances do temporary dimensions function on the non ortho walls."

Seems true - no temporary dimension on a Wall that joins at an angle with another Wall. Revit doesn't always do too well when angles are involved.

What I did below is drag the endpoint of the Walls to make the joint with the angled Wall a right angle, and then the temporary dims become available. However, if you make the dimensions permanent and correct the Walls, the dimensions are lost. There's not much I can contribute here, so I hope this is of some help.

AngledWallDims.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 12 of 14
Shawn

I have found that using temporary model lines can be a great aid to locating or moving objects that are otherwise difficult to snap to or adjust using normal methods.

SG

Message 13 of 14
Alfredo_Medina

Probably a pinned reference plane, perpendicular to the angled wall, could be used to control the distance of the door to a corner, with a dimension.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 14 of 14
GRandall

Thanks for the suggestions, still a Revet newbie, I'll try them until I find the easiest. Sure seems like there should be some sort of plascement constraint for doors and windows similar to ACA;s for center, offset, etc., since Revit is purported to be the "best".

Wish List anyone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report