Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door Position & Size ??

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
vdes
2759 Views, 5 Replies

Door Position & Size ??

I am trying to locate door in between wall & column. When i am putting a door of 3 Feet width including the Frames what it puts in plan is 6 inches less than that i.e. shutter only excluding the frames.

What i want is putting door with complete opening size. When the same is seen in elevation there is the overlap betw column n door since the frame appears in Elevation & it does not show in plan.

PLS SEE ATTACHED JPEG FILE. The size of the opening betw Wall and column is 2'-6" whereas the opening in elevation increases to 3 Feet  taking frame as well.

Also is it possible to place door along with the frames in floor plan?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ccollins
in reply to: vdes

You can edit the door family to add symbolic lines for the frame in a Plan View.

Click on the door and select "Edit Family".

This opens the door family. Go to a Plan View, and draw symbolic lines which represent the door frame.

Check the Visibility Settings of the symbolic lines and make sure that Plan/RCP is checked.

Load the door family into your project.

You may need to adjust the actual size of the door panel and frame location for your specific needs in your project.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 6
subsales

the door you are using has a frame that wraps the wall...it's not a frame that goes into the opening as a door in a masonry wall would.  So in that case, you are using a 2'-6" door with a 3" frame that is outside the opening.  the opening is 2''-6".

Looks like you need to either modify the OOTB door, or use SEEK or other sites to find a new door that incluides the frame in the opening.

It is possbile to show the door in plan along with the frames.  With the current door you are using, change the detail level of the view from Coarse to Medium, and the frame will show up.

Message 4 of 6
vdes
in reply to: ccollins

Ur solution really helped. I got throught it. Just as little as 10% of thing in remaining in this which im sure i shall be able to resolve. 

Thanks for ur help.

Message 5 of 6
vdes
in reply to: ccollins

Thanks ccoliins...

Ur suggestions have solved much of my problem. But after custumozing the door, it shows correctly as a family (See attachment 3 ) but when i place it in betw walls then it doesnt reflect properly in plan, section and elevation.(refer attachment 2)

Also the Door Panel has a gap in plan when i place it in plan where as it doesnt show the same in Family.

Also is there a more detailed resource available to know how to create families in doors etc. ???

Message 6 of 6
ccollins

It looks like you may have deleted the Opening Cut somehow ( not sure that is possible?)

The door is not cutting the opening in the wall.

I would suggest opening a OTB ( out of the box ) door family --one that comes with Revit

and Save-As. Rename it and then begin working on it--go to each view and carefully inspect how it was created.

Reference Planes, Reference Lines, Extrusions, Symbolic Lines, Visibility Settings, Material Parameters, Size Parameters

for Width, Height, Door Thickness, etc.

There are good Tutorials available thru Help or Autodesk's website for learning Family editing and creation.

Keep working on it--it takes a while to get your head around families. But once you begin understanding them,

you will see how powerful they are and how your projects can benefit from using good families.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report