Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

docking problem

49 REPLIES 49
SOLVED
Message 1 of 50
konetarchitecture
23515 Views, 49 Replies

docking problem

I just opened two separate projects in Revit Architecture 2014 and the Properties window and the Project Browser Window will not dock. When I double click on the top tab of each one, it will expand in width to the full width of my screen. What happened? I recently upgraded from 2013 to 2014. Is this a 2014 glitch??? Please help.

49 REPLIES 49
Message 21 of 50
Alisder.Brown
in reply to: arcitek

That is strange. 

I just re positioned my Properties and project browser to be full size on my second monitor, closed all files, opened new project and they popped up where i placed them, closed project and opened new family and again, they popped up where i placed them. Even when i Close Revit completely and re open it with a new file they show up in the correct place, tabbed together and untabbed.

Not sure why yours do not, i doubt its a computer/graphics issue.

You propably do the same, but this is my process:

1. Open a new project
  2. Drag and drop the properties and browser onto my second screen (to my left)
  3. Change the size of the windows by dragging the edges to whaever size i want
  4. Close all files, open a new project/family and check they are still where i placed them.

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 22 of 50
emsca05
in reply to: konetarchitecture

Late on board, but I'd had the same problem with 2014 not docking windows vertically (dockable palletes would only dock horizontal).  Taking hint from the post above, I turned on my second monitor, dragged the palettes into that space and then returned them to my main window to re-dock them.  They immediately went into vertical dock, no problem...

That said, I doubt the second monitor is a factor.  Running 2013 and 2014 together I noticed the behavior of dockable palettes has changed;  whereas in 2013 you could just drag the palette somewhere close to left or right main window edge to dock, in 2014 though you have to position the cursor grabing the palette's tab directly over the main window's left or right border to see image lines before dropping.  A minor change, but if your use to dragging and docking windows automatically, its a major headache.

Not sure why this change was made, but it would have been helpful if it was made clear in documentation.

Message 23 of 50
rod.olsen
in reply to: LisaDrago

Could you explain this for me again? I am new to 2014 (from 2008) and am struggling. If I wanted to tear of the "draw"pallett and dock it to  the left hand side of the screen, I select and drag and push it to the side but nothing seems to happen even after a while? What am I doing wrong?

Message 24 of 50
psimon
in reply to: rod.olsen

When you drag it you have to drag it to the center of the left side of the screen, not to the corner where you want to dock it. A little docking symbol should come up when you get close to the center of the left side of the screen. Release the palette, and it should dock.

Hope this helps. 2014 windows do dock, but you have to play with them.

Phil Simon

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This Message (including any attachments) may be privileged and /or confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you received this email in error please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message or the attachments in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
Message 25 of 50
rod.olsen
in reply to: psimon

Hi

Have dragged the "draw" pallette to centre left and waited, but no change or docking symbol? Would there be a setting somewhere? this is LT2015, not too sure if this makes any diff.

Message 26 of 50

What do you mean by "Draw" pallette? This thread is discussing Revit's Properties and Project browser pallets. Are you talking about the Draw panel within AutoCAD? Or the contextual Draw panel within Revit (which cannot be moved from the ribbon)
Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 27 of 50
rod.olsen
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

please excuse me if im not using the correct terminology. Its the "draw" box within autocad

Message 28 of 50
LisaDrago
in reply to: rod.olsen

Hello @rod.olsen and Welcome to the Discussion!

Yes correct terminology is important but we will figure it all out...

So AutoCAD is totally different from Revit. While I would normally ask the moderator to put your post in the AutoCAD forum - I think I can answer your question... the attached image shows the draw panel in acad... it does not technically dock except into the ribbon. You can have it in your draw window so it is always available no matter which tab you are on.

Did you know you can dock the entire ribbon to the left or right side of your screen? If you right click in the area of the Tabs (but not on a Tab) you can select the undock which will make it floating and you can then dock the ribbon to the left or right side. Just another option...

Now I am assuming you are using the ribbon - are you on classic acad?

If you have any other questions don't hessitate to ask!

There are forums for each Autodesk product avaliable also.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 29 of 50
arkelec

This issue is very frustrating.  It's the sort of thing that I find usually happens when I have zero time to complete work or am using a new programme for the first time.

So, as some of the tips have have helped me to fix the problem, I've created some screen shots which might help others.  I also discovered a new feature also.

Message 30 of 50
mrhorvath525

I had that same problem and fiddled for hours to get it back as it was.  I found that if you minimize the work area and restore the docks in the minimized window it works wthout always defaulting horizontally taking up half the screen which is a rediculous setup.

Hope this helps,

by the way, I think there ought to be a restore to default button too.

Michael R.

Message 31 of 50
mrhorvath525
in reply to: arkelec

Excellent PDF very informative thanks.

Message 32 of 50

I did some research on youtub for the same problem and the answer to your problem is minimize Revit and then place the palets towards the

side and they will dock.

Message 33 of 50
ryanbehneman
in reply to: romeroj1204

I'm having this problem too. I just went from 2013 to 2015. Now when I copy typical details from one project into another I have to waste a minute or two each time redocking my workspace. I can't imagine why anyone would want this feature. This is seriously infuriating. 

Message 34 of 50
romeroj1204
in reply to: ryanbehneman

Minimize your Revit screen , then dock the project browser to the the properties browser. They will stay dock on Revit 15.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 35 of 50
cmills
in reply to: arkelec

This is the only thing that worked for me after 30 minutes of reading and testing! Thank you thank you!!!
Message 36 of 50
bimboombam
in reply to: AlisderBrown

Old post I know - but boy oh boy you saved me from some major frustration!!!
Thanks
Message 37 of 50
johnmolloynya

If you are using dual monitors move your main autodesk workscreen close to the left hand edge of the left screen and the docking ghost screen starts to appear again and you can dock on the left - ditto for the right
Message 38 of 50
TimmyBizzle

I had the same problem and it drove me nuts, but luckily I accidently stummbled upon the solution.

If you drag both the Properties and Project Browser in the middle of the screen.

Then Drag the Project Browser to the bottom of the Properties window (it should highlight with a grey box), this will link them both together.

Finally you can drag the new double window to the left side (as default).

Hope this helps!

Message 39 of 50

I have  problem that is similar to this but not quite the same.  I undock my properties and browser palettes on a separate monitor.  Whenever I switch between models or from a model to the family editor, the palettes shift back to the center of my main monitor.  The solution is in my video card settings.  I have an AMD card, in the Catalyst Control Center, under Desktop Manager there is a checkbox called "Enable Dialog Repositioning".  When I uncheck this, the problem goes away and the palettes stay put.  I imagine other video drivers have a similar setting.  Hope this helps someone.

Message 40 of 50
pregan

Had same problem,  the trick is to use where your cursor pointer is to place the project brower or properties window, not the Browser window edge.  Don't try to line up the edge of the window, focus on where the cursor is.  Roll cursor pointer over left edge to dock it vertically, Roll over top edge of drafting window to dock horizontally ( that is also the default for some Autodesk reason).  

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report