Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need Revit?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
mailbox
510 Views, 1 Reply

Do we need Revit?

Hi All

I work for a lighting manufacture (Profile Lighting Services Ltd) and we are getting asked more and more if we can supply our data in a revit format.

We have never used Revit neither do we really understand what the product does fully but we are under the impression that we need to supply a 3D representation of our luminaires along with the photometric files (IES). (We have both of these as we use a program called Relux to do our lighting calculations).

So my question is do we need Revit to be able to supply this? Currently we have the Standard Product Design Suite and 3DS Max Design and I am wondering if these have the tools to create files that revit can use or do we need to buy revit to make a database of some kind?

I am hoping I can send out an .obj and the IES file rather than purchasing Revit.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: mailbox

If I understand correctly, what your clients are asking is your lighting fixtures as Revit families that they can insert in their projects. These are 3d objects with data about the properties of the fixture, and with a photometric web in IES file. These files are known as "families", and their file extension is .rfa.

About your question about "Do we need Revit"? It depends. If you are going to go through the learning curve about Revit families so that you can make them in-house, yes, you need to buy Revit, and training on families. The other option is to hire a family maker, or content creator, to make the families for your company. In that case you don't necessarily need to buy Revit.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report