Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Divide Lines in Revit like in AutoCAD

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
2j2mattones
29598 Views, 13 Replies

Divide Lines in Revit like in AutoCAD

Is there a way to divide lines in Revit 8.1 like you can in AutoCAD?
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: 2j2mattones

Use the split tool.

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Is
there a way to divide lines in Revit 8.1 like you can in
AutoCAD?
Message 3 of 14
2j2mattones

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant is there a way to divide a line into even segment lengths, like the divide command would do for AutoCAD where I could just select a line, arc, circle, or polyline and have it divided into X# of equal length segments?
Message 4 of 14
Scott_Womack

No. The best work-around would be to array reference lines, or drafting lines and then use the Split tool on each "intersection" This is one of only a couple of commands that AutoCAD has, that Revit does not have.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Are you looking to create equal space such as the
divide command does or the measure command till it runs out of room?

Option: draw your line the length you want it.
Place your objects the total number you want along the line. Place vertical
lines at each end of the line and then string dimensions and apply EQ. Its a
little lengthy but should work.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
No.
The best work-around would be to array reference lines, or drafting lines and
then use the Split tool on each "intersection" This is one of only a couple of
commands that AutoCAD has, that Revit does not have.
Message 6 of 14
lostagain
in reply to: Anonymous

Related NOOB question (I'm switching from Autocad and am forced to speak in its terms):

In Autocad, if I have a road centerline using a spline-fit polyline and want to find the midpoint of its length I use the DIVIDE command to divide the polyline into 2 segments and a point is placed at the middle of its length. Using Revit model or detail lines to create a similar curved line, I can see the length of the line in Properties, but don't see any way to find its midpoint (or third-points or quarter-points etc.). Is there a way to divide this curving model or detail line into equal segments? And if not, how would I go about determining the midpoint?

Message 7 of 14
StupidID

The best way is to create reference lines and array them either linear or radial to your needs then create your objects on the ref lines.

Message 8 of 14
lostagain

@2j2mattones wrote:
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant is there a way to divide a line into even segment lengths, like the divide command would do for AutoCAD where I could just select a line, arc, circle, or polyline and have it divided into X# of equal length segments?

Following is a link to what I found for more complicated line / arc combinations (look for workflow on page 2 by eddy.lermytte):

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=10364&page=2

Message 9 of 14

here is a little trick in revit.. we can do desame devide like autocad.. do this if you will devide a line just make array X 2 +1. ex. if you need 4.. just simply array 9... 4X2 + 1 = 9.. in autocad we are deleting the inside but in revit just delete the outside line.. you will see it is same as autocad...

Message 10 of 14
klinemDD2AW

How is this possibly not a function? Why would Revit leave something this simple out?

Message 11 of 14
thomk

Since I just had to do this.

There's not a divide per se but you can draw a (detail) line that's the entire length.

Click on the line with the Modify tool and then click on the temporary dimension for the line.

Edit the number and insert a "=" before the first digit.  Add a "/" after the last digit.  Enter the number of segments you're looking for (e.g. "4").  Hit enter.

24' - 4 63/256"  --> =24' 4 63/256"/4

It's similar to how you create formulas in Excel.

Message 12 of 14
ToanDN
in reply to: klinemDD2AW

@klinemDD2AW wrote:

How is this possibly not a function? Why would Revit leave something this simple out?

You can use a Line based Detail family with a parametric array if you only need to divide straight lines.  Or use an adaptive family with a parametric divide path for more complex applications.

Message 13 of 14
tkrejci
in reply to: thomk

I'm not sure about an adaptive component, but here's a detail component family that I created that can be used like snapping a chalk line.  It has annotation labels and variable-height tick marks so the scale of the view will affect them.

[And I posted with the wrong account]

Message 14 of 14

Hello @2j2mattones 

you can use Generic Model Adaptive.rft then using Divide path.

2022-02-02_8-50-21.png

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report