Revit Architecture

Contributor
2j2mattones
Message 1 of 8 (6,846 Views)

Divide Lines in Revit like in AutoCAD

6846 Views, 7 Replies
10-15-2008 12:30 PM
Is there a way to divide lines in Revit 8.1 like you can in AutoCAD?
*cdv
Message 2 of 8 (6,846 Views)

Re: Divide Lines in Revit like in AutoCAD

10-15-2008 12:56 PM in reply to: 2j2mattones

Use the split tool.

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Is
there a way to divide lines in Revit 8.1 like you can in
AutoCAD?
Contributor
2j2mattones
Message 3 of 8 (6,846 Views)

10-15-2008 01:01 PM in reply to: 2j2mattones
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant is there a way to divide a line into even segment lengths, like the divide command would do for AutoCAD where I could just select a line, arc, circle, or polyline and have it divided into X# of equal length segments?
Distinguished Contributor
Scott_Womack
Message 4 of 8 (6,846 Views)

10-16-2008 03:19 AM in reply to: 2j2mattones
No. The best work-around would be to array reference lines, or drafting lines and then use the Split tool on each "intersection" This is one of only a couple of commands that AutoCAD has, that Revit does not have.
*BIM is in
Message 5 of 8 (6,846 Views)

10-16-2008 04:15 PM in reply to: 2j2mattones

Are you looking to create equal space such as the
divide command does or the measure command till it runs out of room?

Option: draw your line the length you want it.
Place your objects the total number you want along the line. Place vertical
lines at each end of the line and then string dimensions and apply EQ. Its a
little lengthy but should work.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
No.
The best work-around would be to array reference lines, or drafting lines and
then use the Split tool on each "intersection" This is one of only a couple of
commands that AutoCAD has, that Revit does not have.
Valued Contributor
lostagain
Message 6 of 8 (6,465 Views)

03-29-2011 10:50 AM in reply to: *BIM is in

Related NOOB question (I'm switching from Autocad and am forced to speak in its terms):

In Autocad, if I have a road centerline using a spline-fit polyline and want to find the midpoint of its length I use the DIVIDE command to divide the polyline into 2 segments and a point is placed at the middle of its length. Using Revit model or detail lines to create a similar curved line, I can see the length of the line in Properties, but don't see any way to find its midpoint (or third-points or quarter-points etc.). Is there a way to divide this curving model or detail line into equal segments? And if not, how would I go about determining the midpoint?

StupidID
Message 7 of 8 (5,880 Views)

02-06-2012 02:12 PM in reply to: 2j2mattones

The best way is to create reference lines and array them either linear or radial to your needs then create your objects on the ref lines.

Valued Contributor
lostagain
Message 8 of 8 (5,869 Views)

02-06-2012 03:50 PM in reply to: 2j2mattones

2j2mattones wrote:
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant is there a way to divide a line into even segment lengths, like the divide command would do for AutoCAD where I could just select a line, arc, circle, or polyline and have it divided into X# of equal length segments?

Following is a link to what I found for more complicated line / arc combinations (look for workflow on page 2 by eddy.lermytte):

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=10364&page=2

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.