Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

display wall center line in walls

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
samar20
6743 Views, 8 Replies

display wall center line in walls

hi guys , am new here and i need some , so pleeeeeeeeez don't ignore !!! , am a graduate architect , and from were i am , we r used to have a center line for each separate wall not just for dimension or placing but even visible after plotting and in each view including section , whether it is a structural or partition wall or ... etc ,
     am new to revit and i fell in love with the software right away , so the end of it could some one please show me how to display wall center line in views , the only way i found out how to do it is either by drawing model lines or grid lines which will be so dreadful and time consuming if u have 1250 walls in the project .
     so if someone could hep me in doing it automatically perhaps to be a part of the wall proprieties
    i need some guidance here .
       thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: samar20

What is the purpose of showing a center line in plans and sections for all walls?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9
LisaDrago

Hello and welcome to the discussion! We would never ignore anyone here! Please keep posting.

I have to agree with Alfredo - why do you want to show the center line of a wall? I cannot find any way of displaying this. It is not something I have seen used in my career.

Can you explain a bit more of post an image...

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 4 of 9
Vazzini

New here as well and I have been trying to figure this out all afternoon.  We use different centerline line styles to differentiate partition heights (to ceiling, to deck, 36" aff, etc.)

I have been trying to add a line pattern for the wall type centerline.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
botman
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Currently I'm looking for an option to show the proper firerating (30mins/60mins/90mins) in walls by adding a predefined linetype.

This might be an example to use.

Filters/template is another option but I'm not able to find a satisfying view somehow....I'd rather use linestypes.

Any idea's?

Best regards,

Stefan

Message 6 of 9
L.Maas
in reply to: botman

Bit depending on what/when you need it. If you do not want to use filters.

You could change the coarse scale Fill Pattern and Color to indicate Firerating.

You could change the the structure of the wall by adding a (thin) layer and color that or use pattern to indicate firerating.

You could add a (small) sweep to the wall

As alternative create a line based family and pick the wall to add the line

Walls.jpg

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 7 of 9
botman
in reply to: L.Maas

Hi Enlint,

Thank you for your answer and examples. Especially the last example (added lin-based family) shows the wall the way I prefer. Smiley Tongue

I don;t think its possible to automate this by adding this line to a specific wall-type I guess?

(would be a super option....)

I'll try these options coming monday and select one of these.

Once again, many thanks, additional information on this issue is welcome!

Have a nice weekend!

Stefan

Message 8 of 9
randall.temple
in reply to: botman

I've been trying to solve this, as well.  For years, we've displayed wood-stud and steel-stud walls this way in ACA.  (It's fairly easy there.)  We dimension to the centerline of said walls, and in the case of a non-right-angle corner, Revit won't select the intersection of the centerlines.

I've attempted splitting my stud layer in half and adding a membrane layer between.  The dimensioning now works, but I can't control the displayed linetype of the interface between the stud and membrane layers.  I can override it on each wall using the Linework Tool, but that's too tedious to be practical.

If we can't automatically display the centerlines, can Revit at least be fixed to dimension to centerline intersections, especially when the Loc Line is Center of Wall or Center of Core?  That's the functional misstep here.

BTW, the folks who say they've never seen wall centerlines displayed must not be drawing housing in the Midwest.  It's very common here.

Thanks,

R

Message 9 of 9

I should note that in the case of a non-right-angle corner, I can Measure to the centerline intersection, so I know the core functionality is there.  Is this a bug, or just a bias toward commercial architecture?

R

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report