Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimensions and grid lines

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
wolverine01
10394 Views, 5 Replies

dimensions and grid lines

Making the transition to Revit from AutoCad and have a general question regarding dimensions and grid files.

In the AutoCad system we always used one grid file with the dimensions shown in that grid file. This file was then referenced into all the different floors so you do not need to keep adding dimensions to each new floor plate.

We have a grid file shown on the foundation plan (as you can see on the screen cast) however, when we turn on this grid in the upper floor the dimensions do not show.
Can anybody help explain how best to avoid the duplication of dimensions in each floor plan drawing?
Many Thanks,

here is the link:http://screencast.com/t/dktZ0DW4tn

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
LisaDrago
in reply to: wolverine01

Hi - in Revit anything that is considered annotation or 2D is view specific. The view you place it in is the only view you will see it in. So dimensions, text, symbols, drafting lines, etc.

So yes - you will need to 'duplicate' your dimensions.

You could do a past aligned to the diffent views to spead it up a bit.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 6
BIMologist_

Grids in Revit and autoCAD are two different animals. Grids are 3 Dimensional in Revit vs in AutoCAD. This means that they show up any view that is perpendicular and the grid line crosses that level . However Dimensions in Revit or AutoCAD are similar as they are Specific to the View. so in Each floor plan you need to create dimensions separately. When I teach Revit I mention that anything you do under the ANOTATION tab is specific to the view. you can add delete move annotation objects and they will not affect other views. Easist way to achieve this is Select the Dimensions in the Foundation level Copy it to ClipBoard (Modify -> Clipboard -> Copy ) Next Modify -> Clipboard -> Paste >> Aligned to Selected Views This will pop up the dialog box with the views in your project. select the Level 1- Level x and Press Ok (you can include RCP, Floor Plans in the list. Ofcourse there are other ways to do this , but this is the easiest. (the only option this does not give you is that if you want to add another dimension to the column Grid you will have to repeat the process. You cannot group dimensions for this object.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 4 of 6
wolverine01
in reply to: BIMologist_

Thanks so much for both your responses.
Whilst I now understand this system can I ask you to consider the following? My understanding of Revit is that it should be a little smarter than this.
Lets say you designing a 50 storey skyscraper with non similar floor plates – lets say a blob in the sky. To copy dims from one floor plate to another seems crazy. I am now aware (further to your post) that you can copy align to selected views however this takes more time than the old AutoCad system.
Also how would you link this system with the sections and elevations? I am aware that if you move a grid in plan it will also get moved in elevation as well as section however I would have hoped the dims would also move dynamically not just in the plan but also the section and elevation.
This copy / align to selected view just seems like a work around solution to the problem?... perhaps not and Revit is not as smart as I initially thought.
Either way many thanks for the response.

Message 5 of 6
LisaDrago

I certainly understand this is a different workflow from AutoCAD - which is a good thing.

You need to note that you are not just dropping dimensions anywhere in Revit as you can do in AutoCAD. Dimensions have to be connected to objects in Revit. If the object moves - the dimensions that are connected to that object will update.

Now that process is not view specific - that is object specific, so every view that that object is visible and is dimensioned - the dimensions will update.

As for getting the dimensions into every view - the copy pase aligned is the quickest method and takes maybe 4 or 5 clicks to get it into every view. That functionality I certainly do not see changing - it is just part of the process.

Give it some time... making the switch is a process. An important thing I teach all of my students - is you cannot think AutoCAD and run Revit... You are comparing an apple to a steak. They are no where near each other.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 6 of 6
wolverine01

Thanks so much for your response. I now understand this issue in Revit. Indeed what a difference and indeed a challenge moving to Revit.
james hamilton

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report