Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensions and annotations in design options

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
alex60
3628 Views, 7 Replies

Dimensions and annotations in design options

Hi every one, I am doing several houses with design options, but we need all the information for the main model will be unique for all the options in every model in order to keep only one file and manage the information just like and xref. Please what is the best pratice to make this?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ryan.duell
in reply to: alex60

You can have specific geometry, along with dimensions specific to a Design Option.  First, here is some additional information from WikiHelp on Design Options:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HID_EDIT_DESIGNOPTIONS&product=Revit&release=2012&lan...

Here is an example video showing separating some annotation elements across Design Options:

Video Example

You may notice that text cannot be Design Option specific.  It is recommended to place this type of annotation directly in the Design Option View, since it is view specific.

As an alternate approach, you could use linked files if you did not have to keep everything in the same model.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 8
alex60
in reply to: ryan.duell

Thank you Ryan for your resonse.

My question is if I can use the main model with all the information as a linked file in order to keep this information in one file alone and make the options on that file.

thanks in advance

Alex.

Message 4 of 8
ryan.duell

You should be able to keep your Design Options in one project file.  If you link this project file into another project, you can control the visibility of Design Options [for each view] through the link.

Visibility/Graphic Overrides > “Revit Links” tab > Display Settings > “Basics” tab, set to Custom > “Design Options” tab > set desired visibility of Design Option to show in link.

Please let me know if this is what you were referring to.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 5 of 8
alex60
in reply to: ryan.duell

Thanks Ryan, but in my office want to keep the annotations and dimensions from the main model as only one file, so my idea was to link the file with the main model only and later develop the options in the file where the main model is linked. Is it possible or not?

Thanks in advance

Alex.

Message 6 of 8
mattendler

Resurrecting this thread.

Running into this problem as well.

How do we have annotations embedded within Design Options?

Currently my text cannot be added to any sets (Running Revit 2015)

Message 7 of 8
SteveKStafford
in reply to: mattendler

Views are assigned to a Design Option (DO) or left to show whichever DO is Primary by default. When you want to show a Design Option fully documented you duplicate a view, assign the Design Option specifically to the view via Visibility/Graphics > Design Options. Then add your annotation to that view.

The trouble happens when people add annotation to elements that belong to a DO but the view is assigned the Primary option which could change. When a different DO is selected to be Primary then the other options annotation is no longer relevant. It is always much better and more reliable to create views which are dedicated to a specific DO so this risk is eliminated.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Has this been solved? Is there a workaround to have the text notes and dimensions in design options?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report