Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning walls

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
alex60
774 Views, 9 Replies

Dimensioning walls

Hi every one, I am dimensioning walls with several arches and need to give the dimension to the wall core but in the opening side, see attached image. This wall has the wrapping option for inserts, but the 5/8" stucco layer doesn't allow me to reference the rought opening of the wall. Is there a way to dimension the block and not the opening?

Thanks in advance, Alex

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
anakone
in reply to: alex60

select the dimension command

from the drop down options along the task bar should have option....Prefer:

Select Faces of Core

Is this what you're talking about?

Message 3 of 10
mike

I haven't found a way to dimension to the end of the block as opposed to the stucco as yet.  We will put in a reference plane at the block line and dimension to that.  Or for small scale plans you could make the arch wider so that the dimension to the stucco is the actual dimension you want for the block.  At small scales you can't tell if the dimension line is to the block or the stucco.

Message 4 of 10
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: mike

You should be able to select the face by hovering, then hitting TAB until the face is selected then click.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 5 of 10
mike
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

When I am dimensioning to the end of a wing wall with a cladding that wraps around the exterior face, the dimensions will only let me select the outside of the cladding, not the end of the wall core.

Unless I am missing something ?

Message 6 of 10
alex60
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Thank you all for your answers, but with TAB key only select the lateral core faces of the wall, and I need the core perpendicular to the opening face. I have seen that many people have this problem too.

I hope more ideas to fix this problem. Alex

Message 7 of 10
Chris.Aquino

Can you copy out that section of wall with the opening to a new file and upload that file?

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 8 of 10
alex60

Hi Chris, I am posting a sample file to show you the dimensioning issue.

I hope this will have a solution.

Thanks, Alex

Message 9 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

In this case, setting dimensions to prefer faces does not work. Using the tab key does not work either. Try this: open the door/opening family. Create new reference planes, one on each side, separated from the edge of the opening by a distance, equal to the thickness of the finish. In this case, 1/2". Select these two new reference planes, and set them to "Strong reference". Load family into project. Now you will be able to make the rough opening dimension, with the advantage that if the width of the opening changes, the dimension will update. See illustration.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 10 of 10
alex60
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

thank you Alfredo, for your answer.

Alex

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report