Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning to Cabinets - how to?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
shawn
1560 Views, 7 Replies

Dimensioning to Cabinets - how to?

Can't find any past discussions that address this....

I am trying to create dimensions inside a kitchen floor plan to show cabinet placement and clear walking isles. The problem is Revit won't snap to the cabinets... or at least all my efforts to do this have failed. I have tried the tab button to no effect. I have drawn model lines to dimension too, but when I turn off the lines in graphices override, the dimension strings associated with the lines also turn off.

Part of my question is this - what can I snap too and what can't I snap to???

And how the he** do I dimension to cabinets. Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
loboarch
in reply to: shawn

I had no trouble dimensioning to the OOTB (out of the box) cabinets.  Here is a short video of me placing some dimensions on the cabinets.

The refrence planes used to create the family geometry allow control over what is able to be dimensioned.  When a reference plane is selected in the family editor there is a parameter called "Is Reference" there you can set strong, weak, and not a reference parameter for a reference plane.  named reference planes are always "strong".  This will control how dinensions will sanp whn placed into a project.

Strong references will be picked up automatically when dimensioning.  Weak references need to have the tab key clicked to select them.  Not a reference, will never be able to be selected.

Perhaps there is an issue with the families you are using, but faces should still be selectable?

The only other thing I can think of is the fact the cabinets are not placed so they are parallel to the other elements you are dimensioning to.  The aligned dimension tool needs the elements being dimensioned to be parallel or it will not allow selection.  Maybe the cabinents are just slightly askew.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 8
shawn
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks for the video. A picture is definitely worth a thousand words. Apparently, and I don't understand why, you have to use the "aligned" dimension and not the "linear" which is the dimension type I usually use. Using the aligned type the dimensions snap to the cabinets without issue. Using the linear type you cannot snap to cabinets? Thanks again.

Message 4 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

Then you need to change that habit. I agree that the names of the tools are a little confusing at the beginning, though. But, anyway, "Aligned" is the most used dimensioning tool.  "Linear" is just to find specific points. To dimension cabinets, of course, you need "Aligned".

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 8
shawn
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you Alfredo,

I appreciate your point of view and perhaps if I could afford your training services, it would all be as "obvious" to me as it is to you. But being self-taught in Revit and using AutoCad primarily, there is nothing obvious about it. In autocad I use linear dimensions for about 95% of what I do and use aligned only when dimensioning something that is not aligned already to the UCS, which in architecture, is not so common.

Perhaps there is a document or tutorial you could reccomend that will teach me how to understand dimensions in the Revit context. Thanks and aloha.

Message 6 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

Just invert that proportion. In Revit, "aligned" is probably used 95%, and "linear" is rarely used. Remember that the first main step to understanding Revit is to let go of the old AutoCAD habits.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 8
jeromatabett

Kitchen cabinet sizes are largely standardized. Unless you are dealing with custom kitchen cabinetry, which can have any dimensions, you will find lower prices and predictable sizing in stock or semi-custom kitchen cabinets. Because kitchen cabinets come in hundreds of sizes, below is a guide to a few of the more common kitchen cabinet sizes.

Base kitchen cabinets are installed directly on the floor. Counters are laid on them, sinks installed within them, dishwashers and ranges bracketed by them, and more.

Height: 34.5". After adding countertop materials, total height will raise to 36".

Depth: 24". Base cabinets tend to be limited to 24". Deeper base cabinets make it difficult for you to reach the back of the counter or to plug in appliances.

Message 8 of 8
jeromatabett

Above configurations were for base cabinet sizes for kitchen cabinet design. For Wall Cabinet Sizes:

Height: Common wall cabinet heights are 12", 36", and 48". The 12" cabinets fit neatly over fridges.

Depth: 12" to 24". Maximum depth for wall cabinets is 24" because it cannot exceed the depth of base cabinets.

Widths: A standard, single- or double-door wall cabinet width is 30". Cabinets can run as narrow as 12" or 15". Cabinets wider than 30" are generally not used.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report