Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimensioning- creating rooms

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jcc5018
221 Views, 1 Reply

dimensioning- creating rooms

Hey, I'm somewhat new to Revit, but I have managed to figure out at least the basics. But I am having issues with one thing. When I make my rooms for a building, I want them to be a specific distance from the previous wall, say 10'. But when Revit measures the walls, it measures from the center line of the wall and not the edges. How do I correct this so it is measuring from the nearest edge so I'm not constantly having to think about how thick the wall was on each side and manually add 5 inchs or whatever it is in order to get a solid 10' room.

Also, when placing rooms, I have found that the program keeps making the reference distances from points halfway across the house. For example, if I want to make a room 10'x 10', and go to place the top wall of the room. If there is another wall across the hall or something that may intersect if you extend an imaginary line, the reference dimensions won't be 10' from the bottom wall, but it would be something like 4' 5 7/16" from that other room that has nothing to do with the wall I'm trying to place. Does that make sense? How do I turn off or control the meaningless reference points?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
ChrisNeedhamNZ
in reply to: jcc5018

Go to "Manage" "Additional Settings" then choose "Temporary Dimensions," and there you  can pick which options you want.

For your second issue:

You can zoom in closer to where you want the measurement to be taken from, so that the other wall is not showing on screen.

Or hover the pointer close to where you want the measurement to be taken from, and type in the length you want from that wall.

Chris Needham
Whangarei
New Zealand

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report