Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension with Tick and Dot

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
614 Views, 11 Replies

Dimension with Tick and Dot

Is it possible to have a Tick and a Dot on the same dimension? Our company standard has always been to have a tick for the wall edge and the dot for the column line. Any thoughts?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Not possible - and gee, what a lot of work in AutoCAD. Time for a new office standard... "Ben Ferrer" wrote in message news:3ffed3d2$1_1@statler... > Is it possible to have a Tick and a Dot on the same dimension? Our company > standard has always been to have a tick for the wall edge and the dot for > the column line. Any thoughts? > >
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

I though this was made possible in Revit 6.0. Somewhere in the back recesses of my cranial cavity I remember you could have different delimiters on dimensions. Check it out in the New Features DOC/PDF on the Revit website on white papers or tech. info. -- Mel Persin, Architect-AIA Network/CAD Consultant, Support & Training "Ben Ferrer" wrote in message news:3ffed3d2$1_1@statler... > Is it possible to have a Tick and a Dot on the same dimension? Our company > standard has always been to have a tick for the wall edge and the dot for > the column line. Any thoughts? > >
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Ben, Yes, it is possible to do what you want. Each dimension style can have a standard tick mark (for wall faces) that is separately defined from centerline tick marks. Once you define these, Revit will automatically use the appropriate tick mark in each instance. Tibor Farkas "Ben Ferrer" wrote in message news:3ffed3d2$1_1@statler... > Is it possible to have a Tick and a Dot on the same dimension? Our company > standard has always been to have a tick for the wall edge and the dot for > the column line. Any thoughts? > >
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:30:12 -0600, "Aaron Rumple" wrote: >Not possible - and gee, what a lot of work in AutoCAD. >Time for a new office standard... Actually, it's a basic drafting standard for many companies. And no, it's almost no work to do this in AutoCAD. Matt mstachoni@comcast.net mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

> And no, > it's almost no work to do this in AutoCAD. Just a few DIMVARs here and there. Whats a DIMVAR? (Don't answer that.....)
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks everyone. We are headed in the right direction. I did see the update for Revit 6 and centerline dimensions. But how do I get the centerline to fall on a column line? Or do I have to link the dimension to the column that the centerline falls on? Thanks again "Ben Ferrer" wrote in message news:3ffed3d2$1_1@statler... > Is it possible to have a Tick and a Dot on the same dimension? Our company > standard has always been to have a tick for the wall edge and the dot for > the column line. Any thoughts? > >
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

For the dimension to recognize a centerline, dimension to the column center rather than the grid line. This should allow you to get dots on column lines and ticks on wall edges. Just remember that with this dimension style, the dot will show up anywhere the dimension references the center of any object, such as windows, doors, or walls. "Ben Ferrer" wrote in message news:4002b600$1_2@statler... > Thanks everyone. We are headed in the right direction. I did see the update > for Revit 6 and centerline dimensions. But how do I get the centerline to > fall on a column line? Or do I have to link the dimension to the column that > the centerline falls on? > > Thanks again > > "Ben Ferrer" wrote in message > news:3ffed3d2$1_1@statler... > > Is it possible to have a Tick and a Dot on the same dimension? Our company > > standard has always been to have a tick for the wall edge and the dot for > > the column line. Any thoughts? > > > > > >
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

However this does have the drawback of not being able to use the dimension to parametrically move the column and the grid line. If you lock the grid to the column and then try to change the column dimension, you will get an error. Since grids are shared in worksets, this may cause other issues with keeping objects coordinated. "Frame" wrote in message news:4002b8bd$1_2@statler... > For the dimension to recognize a centerline, dimension to the column center > rather than the grid line. > This should allow you to get dots on column lines and ticks on wall edges. > Just remember that with this dimension style, the dot will show up anywhere > the dimension references the center of any object, such as windows, doors,
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Move the grid, not the column, and everything should be fine. Remember that columns will 'stick' to grid lines when snapped to a grid, and will follow the grids when moved. "Aaron Rumple" wrote in message news:4002ccab$1_3@statler... > However this does have the drawback of not being able to use the dimension > to parametrically move the column and the grid line. If you lock the grid to > the column and then try to change the column dimension, you will get an > error. Since grids are shared in worksets, this may cause other issues with > keeping objects coordinated. > > "Frame" wrote in message news:4002b8bd$1_2@statler... > > For the dimension to recognize a centerline, dimension to the column > center > > rather than the grid line. > > This should allow you to get dots on column lines and ticks on wall edges. > > Just remember that with this dimension style, the dot will show up > anywhere > > the dimension references the center of any object, such as windows, doors, > >
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Yes you can do that, but you can't edit the dimension associated with the column itself and expect the grid to move. "Frame" wrote in message news:400300f4$1_3@statler... > Move the grid, not the column, and everything should be fine. > Remember that columns will 'stick' to grid lines when snapped to a grid, and > will follow the grids when moved.
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Where is the setting that controls the tick to centerline?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report