Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension tick (diagonal) length and orientation

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
NigelParsons4560
1979 Views, 6 Replies

Dimension tick (diagonal) length and orientation

Hello,

How do I set the length of the dimension tick?  I'm suing the diagonal option.  I'd like the line to plot 3mm long.  It appears to be some funny imperial size.

How do I set the orientation of the diagonal tick?  Horizontal dimensions display correctly with the diagonal going from bottom left to top right, eg: /, but vertical dimensions display in the OPPOSITE direction, eg: \ ... which looks s#!t ... I think that's the technical term!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

NigelParsons4560 wrote:

"How do I set the length of the dimension tick?  I'm suing the diagonal option.  I'd like the line to plot 3mm long.  It appears to be some funny imperial size."

Go to Manage tab » Additional Settings Arrowheads. There, you can either modify the existing diagonal leader or create a new one. If you create a new arrowhead, you can configure your Dimensions to use that arrowhead style under the Dimensions Type Properties.

NigelParsons4560 wrote:

"How do I set the orientation of the diagonal tick?  Horizontal dimensions display correctly with the diagonal going from bottom left to top right, eg: /, but vertical dimensions display in the OPPOSITE direction, eg: \ ... which looks s#!t ... I think that's the technical term!"

I don't know of anything that you can do about that.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7

Hello CADastrophe,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Managed to change the diagonal tick lenght.  I had to set it to 2mm in order to get it to plot around 3mm long ... note: scale is set to 1:100

As to the direction of the diagonal tick, perhaps Autodesk might consider adding an alignment option: "View" or "Dimension Line". 

Cheers

N.

Message 4 of 7

If you really need all the ticks to align, you could create a second arrowhead type with a "reverse" tick mark, then create a new dimension type that uses the reverse tick mark.  Finally, use the reverse tick mark dimension type on your vertical dimensions.  Not sure what you would use for non-orthogonal dimensions.

That is way too much work for me, so I just live with the out-of-the-box treatment.  I am not certain that I would not have manually drawn tick marks that way, anyhow - it maintains the same orientation relative to the rest of the dimension.  But I have seen other requests for what you want.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 7

Hello David,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately I could not find any "Reverse" tick mark and I could not find a way to create one.

If it isn't too much to ask, please provide a brief instruction on how to proceed.

With non- orthogonal dimensions it is usual to draw the ticks in the direction of closest orientation to that of orthogonal dimensions.

Cheers

N.

Message 6 of 7

My apologies.  I am getting my programs confused.  I thought there was a way to do this in Revit, but I must have been thinking about something that had been requested in AutoCAD.  That should teach me to post something without checking in the program first.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 7

Hi David,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I think we both already know that AutoCAD got dimensioning right .... 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report