Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimension of a circle

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
diesellam
2983 Views, 8 Replies

Dimension of a circle

How can I make a dimension like this for the circle?  (See attached image)

Can I just do an aligned dimension of a circle WITHOUT drawing the reference lines?

In AutoCAD, you choose the quadrant or tangent point of the circle for dimension like this.  How can you do this in Revit?

Also, can you make the 2d lines to act like "DEFPOINT" in AutoCAD?  Meaning you can see the lines but won't be printable on the plots.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

•  a circle has  a snap point only for the Center point , but the Diameter Dimension is available (from  Revit 2014) and and the result is the same as that Dimension >Aligned you want...
  • if you want to use Aligned Dimension  without to use Reference Planes, then you have to make a circle from two Arcs (Center -ends Arcs). Their Drag Line End Points are snap points

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/6efcbdd0-c457-461b-a0cd-b6c82074e57e

Image 1.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 9

When I said "circle", I meant the circular column.

This is what I want to achieve, see attached.  I want to align all column dimension on one side of the grid line.

But it couldn't recognize the intersection point between the grid line and the column. 

I had to draw 2 little detail lines just for the referencing of aligned dimension.

Message 4 of 9
cvandevere
in reply to: diesellam

Try using reference planes. they do not plot and you can dimension to them.

CDV
Message 5 of 9

if you speak about a Family , a Structural Column Family can be made so to allow Aligned Dimensions:

1. open the Concrete Round Family and save it under another name so to make some personalized changes
  2. draw four Reference Lines circumscribed to the round element ( over the Reference Planes - as in attached image) and lock them to Reference planes
  3. save again and load it into the Project
  4. Aligned Dimensions will "see" now the borders...

I've attached such a Family....

Image 2.png

Image 3.png

Image 4.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 9

Thanks a lot.  It's very helpful.

I still can't imagine why can't Revit make it easy instead of creating a family just for this simple dimensioning.

Message 7 of 9

You do not need to add Reference Lines, unless you want to do so.  You can select the existing Reference Planes that are tangent to the quarter points and change the Is Reference property from Not a Reference to Weak Reference or Strong Reference.  If you change them to Weak Reference, then the two "Center" Reference Planes will have first priority when placing dimensions or choosing alignment planes.  If you make the Strong References, they will have equal priority with the "Center" Reference Planes.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 8 of 9
diesellam
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't know you can switch to strong or weak reference.  I'll look into it.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 9

you are right David....

Using Strong/Weak instead of Not a Reference is much simple and elegant than using Reference Lines....Anyway the changes must be made in the Family file

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report