Revit Architecture

Active Contributor
Redli1
Message 1 of 6 (996 Views)
Accepted Solution

Different subcategory for family types

996 Views, 5 Replies
01-20-2014 12:35 PM

I understand how to change material by family type but how can I change object subcategory by family type? Is this possible?  

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 2 of 6 (979 Views)

Re: Different subcategory for family types

01-20-2014 01:50 PM in reply to: Redli1

in  order to create Subcategories in Families :

1. Make a New Family using an adequate template  - in my example Furniture
  2. Manage > Object Styles > Model Objects > Modify Subcategories > New > New Subcategory > enter a Name for it - in my example Table Top ...it appears in Category - you can choose here the material of subcategory - Image 01
  3. Make an extruded shape ( as Table Top ) - in Properties > Subcategory - expand and choose table top....Image 02
  4. Make extruded shapes for table legs -  in Properties > Subcategory - expand and choose table leg ...
  5. in Family Types you can create Shared Parameters for Subcategory that can be later used in Project in Furniture Schedules ( In my example I've create Length ,Depth and Height parameters ) - Image 03
  6. Once loaded into project the Subcategories are still there ( Manage > Object Styles > Model Objects > Furniture - expand - table top and table legs are here and you can control also materials...

Image 01

Image 01.png

Image 02

Image 02.png

Image 03

Image 03.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Active Contributor
Redli1
Message 3 of 6 (968 Views)

01-20-2014 02:16 PM in reply to: constantin.stroescu

thank you very much. Just for my understanding: I have a family with 3 types and I want to assign to each type a differnt subcategory. But there is no parameter for subcategory like for example for material. 

Let's say I have a Box which I want to show in three different ways. Later I want to export the file to autocad and assign for each of the three family types a differnt layer.

*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 4 of 6 (944 Views)

01-20-2014 04:43 PM in reply to: Redli1

in Family Editor :

1. select the box (table top) - Properties > Identity Data > Subcategory > table top - then Material and Finishes > Material >click on the right small button > Associate Family Parameter opens >Add Parameter > Parameter Properties > create a new material parameter - I called it here table base...Image 1 and Image 2
  2. create 3 different types : select the box and : Properties > Family Types > New  - create three types : box 1, box 2 and box 3 with different parameters - Image 3, Image 4 and Image 5
  3. load Family into Project 

Image 7.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Active Contributor
Redli1
Message 5 of 6 (927 Views)

01-21-2014 01:47 AM in reply to: constantin.stroescu

thanks again for your assistance.

I have three family types of a box. Later I have to export the revit file to dwg and each family type has to be on a different layer. For this I have to create one subcategory for each family type. With materials I do not have this possibility.

a.png

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 6 of 6 (910 Views)

01-21-2014 06:05 AM in reply to: Redli1

"Subcategory" is a property that can be applied to elements that are created locally, not to elements that are nested families. Therefore, for nested elements, the subcategory must be created in the nested elements' own family file. Then, load those elements into a host family, create a Family Type parameter, apply that parameter to one of the elements, load the host family into a project, create multiple instances of the family, each of them with its own family type value. Now, if you export this project to dwg you will have on the list all the subcategories that you created, and you will be able to assign a different layer to each subcategory.

1-21-2014 9-04-32 AM.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.