Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailing in Revit.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
damo3
713 Views, 3 Replies

Detailing in Revit.

So I wanted to have a discussion or explore detailing methodology in Revit. How do users approach detailing in Revit? Callouts vs drafting views (and referencing). 

I ask the question as I was trained to callout model geometry to a largest scale of 1:20. Anything larger, 1:10 or 1:5 is a drafting view detail with a referenced callout. The main reason for this is at scales of 1:5 we tend to explode the detail slightly so elements such as waterproofing can be clearly detailed in the view. Therefore as none of the model geometry is ultimately used it becomes almost obsolete at that scale. It also depends on how detailed you go about your modelling.  Thats the thinking anyway, does anyone else work this way? Does anyone else have alternate workflows?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.  

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
enslinj
in reply to: damo3

Hi there,

Call-out or Drafting view with Reference doesn’t really impact on your workflow & it's not were your time is spent.

The issue in your quest to find a better workflow is CAD.

The best decision our company made was to re-create our detail library in Revit, yes it's a lot of work but when you split it over the company it's not too bad.

For various reasons exploding & using AutoCAD details in Revit are far from ideal & the time you spending making it work will eventually far out way the time it took to convert your detail Library to Revit. There's no hassle with printing & line weights & since it’s all Revit geometry details can be modified in a fraction of the time.

Regards

Message 3 of 4
damo3

Hi enslinj, thanks for the reply, i agree with you completely, hence why our office doesn't use CAD. 🙂

I think you may have misread my post or made some incorrect assumptions.

To be clear we callout the model at 1:20 and infill with detail components as is the norm. But at scales larger, say a 1:5 i have always callout to a drafting view (by referencing). I know some may callout the model at 1:5 but I have never seen the benefit in this for reasons previously mentioned. So thought i would ask! 🙂

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 4 of 4
enslinj

Arggg sorry!!!
This is what happens when you try multitask.I read "explode" details & assumned that it related to CAD drawings and exploding themm. My bad.Smiley Embarassed

Okay, so now that we are on the same page perhaps I can actually try be helpful. lol

The workflow we use effectivley with our detail library is drafting views.

Example Workflow:

I created a revit project file that contains all our Waterproofing Details as drafting views, loaded, placed & named correctly.

We also tend create a details sheet with details which you practially encountter on every project.

The same process is done for casework, masonary, door & windows details etc and saved.

When users now need details, they click insert, Insert from File, Insert Views from file & browse to the releveant details project folder contain all the above mentioned.

Revit now shows a dialog allowing you to tick what drafting views to import (really cool) & second great part about it is, when it inserts a view or a sheet to your project it's all named correctly & good to go.

Hope this offers you a little more help then the first answer Smiley Wink

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report