Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailing Best Practice for Addendum Function

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rwhleung
1733 Views, 3 Replies

Detailing Best Practice for Addendum Function

Hi, I would like to see if anyone has come up with a good detailing approach in revit when it comes to coordinating details in both tender set and addenda.

Since detail view (system family by default) cannot be duplicated as dependent view in revit, the detail views in the tender set and the revised detail views (created by duplicating with detailings) issued in addenda will have to be manually coordinated, ie. no synchronization between the views. However, the nature in architectural practice is such that there are often multiple changes in scope during addendum period, and details will have to be reissued with updated changes. Without being able to duplicate the detail views as a dependent, the revit user has to manually coordinate the detail views (in both tender set and addenda) to make sure the tender set reflects the most updated changes as issued in addenda. 

By duplicating the views as dependent for floor plans, sections, and elevations, the entire drawing set is coordinated and carries the most up-to-date information. Revit is meant to minimize human errors by coordinating the drawing set for the user. What is the rationale behind not being able to duplicate as dependent for detail view?

Any help is much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
alan.quinn
in reply to: rwhleung

Currently and speaking from experience I relied on duplicating. I understand that this and many other revision type enhancements are on developments radar and hopefully a future release will address your needs. In the mean time anyone else want to add a comment?

Thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 4
rwhleung
in reply to: alan.quinn

Thanks for your response, Alan. 

I also rely on duplicating the detail views once all changes/revisions have been done to make sure the drawing set is coordinated. I only duplicate the view when I know absolutely sure there is no more changes for the addendum item. This way you only need to duplicate once.

Currently I am using the Section (System Family) to create all section and plan detail views. Since section system family is capable of being duplicate as dependent, it is much easier to track changes. However, the section can only be created along the N/S (top and bottom of screen) in elevation/section views. You cannot, for instance, generate a plan detail view by creating a section (cutting left and right of the screen) in an elevation view. Unlike floor plans, you can create any sections any way you want. It is only in detail view system family that you can create any section orientation you want; but this way you lose the duplicate as dependent function. 

Is there any other work around for the meantime before any future release updates?

Your help is much appreciated.

Message 4 of 4
alan.quinn
in reply to: rwhleung

I think what you are doing is as good as it get for now. I don't know of any other work-a-rounds. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report