Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail, Heavy Timber-Side.rfa

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dbroad
446 Views, 4 Replies

Detail, Heavy Timber-Side.rfa

Anyone know why the side view (Heavy Timber-Side.rfa) represents the thickness of the members rather than the face dimension?  For example: A 2x10 (which isn't really heavy timber anyway) is shown 1-1/2" thick rather than 9-1/4" when the side view family is used to draw items. 

Wish the family names had been a little more logical (i.e. Heavy Timber-Thickness.rfa  and Heavy Timber-Face.rfa)

Seems like these families should at least coordinate with the section view so the top view was thin and the side view was wider.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: dbroad

Whoever made those detail component families decided to do it following that convention, that the beam was like "laying on the floor," so that the "depth" becomes the "top" view, and the "thickness" becomes the "side" view.

I agree. It would have been more "common sense" to consider the beam as "standing vertically" not horizontally. It is easy to "fix", though, by simply renaming the two families.

2-22-2013 12-10-44 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 5
dbroad

Good point.  Wish they could fix it at the source though rather than rely on each user to "fix" the problem for each yearly version.

Message 4 of 5
Alfredo_Medina

Renaming the families takes 1 minute. Having this "fixed at the source" can take a loooong time.... 🙂

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 5
dbroad

True.  Locally that is what I will do, but I have 18 computers.  Think of the hundreds of thousands of Revit users.  All it takes is 1 minute by  the Autodesk Revit designers to save hundreds of thousands of corrections to what seems like an error to me.

No need for further reply.  I do hope the designers consider changing it for the next release.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report