Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detach, Purge and Remove links

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Jrobker
1654 Views, 3 Replies

Detach, Purge and Remove links

I have a request from an Architect to detach, purge and remove links from my model every time before I upload.
I used to clean up received models (MEP 2008-2010) thinking it would help with performance. It's been a years since I have done this and my model performance behaves no differently.
Is there any validity to his claims that this is beneficial on the Architectural side?
TIA

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
LisaDrago
in reply to: Jrobker

The first thing that comes to mind is they are probably getting a lot of warnings of missing links, can't find the central file and all of that when they open the file... So they are just trying to avoid those issues.

I would agree with the detaching from the central before sending it to anyone, everytime.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 4
Jason_S
in reply to: Jrobker

I prefer my engineers to leave the model as is. The only thing I ask is if they have a DWG linked in to send me the file so I can place it with their model.

I also like the paths to remain in the MEP models on the rare occurrence I need to get into their model to see what they see.  I can "reload from" the linked models and keep their View Templates as they have them.  Keeps me from guessing.

Just how I do it.

Message 4 of 4
Jrobker
in reply to: Jason_S

I do know that there is little to no difference with performance using a cleaned link verses just replacing and reloading.
Example: 
I trimmed two pieces of pipe to place an elbow.
Attempt 1 took 13.65 seconds.
I undid it and did it again, it took 10.32 seconds.
I opened the Architectural model and Deleted all views, purged all unused and detached links. The model size went down from 266,920 kb to 182,156 kb.
I reloaded the link and did the same elbow test.
It took 12.02 seconds. So it took longer and shorter time than using the bloated model. So to us it has NO relevance to use a "cleaned link".

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report