Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperate! Element 10196579 became corrupt error!.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
11549 Views, 16 Replies

Desperate! Element 10196579 became corrupt error!.

We have a team of 4, of which 3 have experienced Revit crashing when saving to central.

The error says element 10196579 is corrupt.
But we can not find this element.
Tried:
- Find element by ID
- text search through export of warnings file.
- text search through .slog files (workshare log).

I found following lines in journal file:

' 8:< An ArchiveException 105 is raised at line 1815 of .\Archive\DataDict.cpp
  ' 8:< TaskDialog "Element 10196579 became corrupt at some time before this session."
  'Id : TaskDialog_Element_Corrupted

We are desperate, this is on a large (188Mb) file being worked on by 5 people, which is a week away from bid issue.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
alan.quinn
in reply to: Anonymous

If possible I recommend that you Roll Back to a version of the file that usable. See the below link for information on doing this.

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2011/ENU/filesUsersGuide/WS46b90c3cb2c58cad1c1ea29fc7fa3c77a-7fda.htm

Thank you,

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: alan.quinn

I tried to get to a backup.

But the team re-created their central file from a local file using the same file name, so only backups are of the new file.

But it seemed to fix the problem, for a day, then it re-occured.

This time when a workset 'show in all views' setting was changed.

Any attempt to change this setting on any workset, on any local file, causes a "corrupt element error".

Surely the real problem is not really a corrupt element.

To suggest we roll back to a previous backup is not a realistic solution.

Not only is there no guarantee it won't prevent the problem occurring again, it means redoing at least 144 man hours of work, and missing deadlines.

If AutoDesk provide a product that relies on a single database, that database needs to be extremely robust, and FIXABLE.

Message 4 of 17
alan.quinn

It’s unfortunate that you are in this situation and I’m trying the best I can to help with little to no information. You can roll back and save as under a new name and copy paste in new work. See this link for more information:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/Revit_User's_Guide/2214-Collabor2214/2269-Working_2...

Copy and paste is not an ideal solution, but one worth looking into. If you can upgrade to 2012 you’ll have the ability to strip out all workset information and this might also work.

Thank you,

Message 5 of 17
paulmonsef

Try starting a support ticket and uploading the file... every file that I ever corrupted adesk was able to fix (or tell me how).

Did you try recreating the central file and then AUDIT it? Audit can sometimes find and delete corrupt issues, especially after a crash opening a (restored) file...

Paul Monsef
http://monsefdesign.com/

Message 6 of 17
rosskirby

If you tried to find the element by searching for the ID, and nothing came up, then that object is probably in a design option.  Try making each design option active, one at a time, and run the search by ID until you find the object.  

If that doesn't work, open up any links in a separate session, and search for the element there (I'm thinking it could be a copy-monitored element, and therefore might not respond to the usual search by ID method).

If that doesn't work, post back here and we'll try something else.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

I used Ideate Explorer to get a list of element IDs, which I assume gathers everything in the database.

We found we can get rid of the crashing if we let Revit create a recovery file.

By accident I found the error in our main central file was actually being caused by a linked file.

When the linked file was fixed (via a recovery file), opening the main central file caused a dialog box to appear saying revit could not load the element ID 10225853 and that it would be deleted. The problem then seemed to disappeared.

I got a list of entities out of the linked file using Ideate Explorer, and the highest ID number was 2186515, which is way less than the ID number of the problematic element.

Why would Revit report an error caused by an element ID that doesn't exist?

Message 8 of 17
GlynnisVP

Hi,

I have a few ideas about the discrepancies between the Ideate Explorer IDs and the number of the element found via Revit warnings.  Ideate Explorer reports on Instances, and not on Types though both have IDs.  It seems that in this example you found the Link (was it a DWG or RVT?) to be the source of the issue so I don't think that those would have Type IDs though I could be wrong.  Additionally, Explorer would only report on the current Design Option, so as someone else mentioned, that could account for this discrepancy.  And lastly I think that Revit uses IDs for even items such as dimensions found within sketch mode though these are not included within Ideate Explorer.

Regards,

Glynnis Patterson, Architect

www.ideatexplorer.com | www.ideatebimlink.com

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: GlynnisVP

Thanks for the heads up on Ideate Explorer.

Is there any way to get a list of all Revit IDs?

Makes it hard to track a problem if a reported ID can't be identified.

The linked file was a Revit file.

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

The Element IDs can be exported by the Add-in "BIM Link" - Ideate Software

Its the best tool Ive seen so far for a multitude of things in Revit

Check it out!

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Did you try to open the file by checking Audit opotion?

We had same problem. Luckly, we have sorted it out by opening the file with Audit option.

I hope it works for you.

Message 12 of 17
tbrown6608

I got this same problem today, the corrupt element in my case was the project information. Revit would work just fine until you try to synchronize which is when it gives the error and follows by an "unrecoverable error". I believe the cause is the latest Revit update which I installed today. The only other computer in my office which installed the update is the only other computer in my office which is getting this message and crash. Glad this was tested. Unfortunately I cannot simply rollback the model since the job is going out for bid... 30 minutes ago. I have people in my office working on what we've lost to try and make this deadline today, my problem is now I have 2 computers (my own included) that I cannot use Revit on. Is there any way to unistall just this update or do I have to completely uninstall Revit 2015 and reinstall it and then go thru re-updating everything except for what was released today?

Message 13 of 17
L.Maas
in reply to: tbrown6608

You usually cannot undo updates.

If you working on a windows computer you might see if you can return to a previous windows restore point.

Otherwise it will be a clean install.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 14 of 17
lolly9696

I'm in a ever worse situation! I'm working on a file that has 277kb and I got the same error but in the 824620 element. I haven't found any solution for it. If you have, please tell me... I have saved many copies of the same file with different names, but the don't work either. I'm desesperate because I have a short time to finish this project. I'm about to lose a big deal.

Tags (1)
Message 15 of 17
rosskirby
in reply to: lolly9696

Did you try any of these:

• Select element by ID, then delete
  • Select element by ID in any linked files, then delete
  • Audit while opening the file
  • Activate each design option, then select element by ID, then delete
  • Load all worksets, then select element by ID, then delete
  • Rollback to a previous version

The number of the element is irrelevant.  It's just a unique "name" for a particular element.  The problem is that you've got a corrupted element somewhere in either your project or a linked file.  If auditing doesn't fix it, you have to find it and delete it.  Select by ID is the only way to do so.  If it's in either a linked file, design option, or a workset that is not loaded, you'll still get the corrupt element error, but you won't be able to select it without opening the linked file, activating the design option, or loading the workset, respectively.

Worst case scenario, there's some underlying error in the project file database that has become corrupt, and won't be fixed by deleting a particular element.  If you've tried everything above, and still haven't been able to find and delete the corrupted element, you'll have to file a support request with Autodesk.  They have some additional tools that enable them to salvage corrupted files, though success is not 100% guaranteed.

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 16 of 17
lolly9696

I couldn't find the element. But I opened the file and selected "audit", so I could recover it! Thanks for your advice!
Message 17 of 17
vlasova.yulia
in reply to: rosskirby

Hello,

I'am not able to do all these things, because we have the first back up corrupted.

So audit it is not working because asking to do it manually.

Actually we can work in the file. We recognised the problem while detaching the new file and sending to another user by mail.

This file want to be connected to our file and show this problem "Element ID corrupted"

thank you in advance for your advice

best regards

Yulia 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report